A tall plat to go in a pot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a tall terracotta pot about 2 foot tall and about 1 foot wide in a sunny sheltered corner between the house and the fence. I'd like to plant something that will grow tall, up to for or 5 or 6 foot tall from the top of the pot, tall but not too bushy sideways. I was thinking about a willowy sort of thing or something with blossom in the spring, or something colourful like an Acer. I'm happy to keep pruning if necessary. There is a Golden Celebration rose nearby, so pink, red, orange or white rather than blue or purple in colour. I'm open to ideas as I don't know much about different types of plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Asking for a plant recommendation, throws open the doors of creativity...

After reading your description, the first idea that came to mind was a bamboo. They are tall, narrow, and willowy... but alas no blossoms. They also do well in a container longer without suffering from being root-bound.

For something tall and narrow with flowers, perhaps put a pillar trellis in the pot and grow a vine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Marck, Both are great suggestion, although I have bamboo along the other side of the garden and plan to grow a creeper maybe a clematis further along the fence. So I think I'm after something a bit more self supporting. I'm not sure what's out there that will be happy in a pot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the short-term you can grow many things in that container. Pick something that can be pruned or shaped attractively. One such idea would be an upright Camellia, but there are many other options.

All woody plants in containers eventually do get rootbound, but you will get X number of years out of them before that happens. This is probably sufficient, since by that time you may want to try growing something else.

The only reason bonsai are able to be kept in containers for centuries is by being taken out and root-pruned every year. This takes some expertise and involves significant extra labor, especially for a larger plant.

Ask a Question