A question of plant adaptation and evolution

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its well known plants like cilantro dislike warmer climates. They bolt and go to seed under those conditions.

If I planted 20 cilantro seeds in a warm tropical climate, collecting seeds from plants which bolt the latest and appear to exhibit the highest degree of temperature tolerance. Then in turn plant those seeds and collect again from plants which appear to tolerate a warmer climate the best. With this process repeating.

Could I eventually wind up with a cilantro strain that is more tolerant to warm temperatures than the norm? A cilantro plant that is well suited to 90 to 100 F degree weather?

This is based on the concept of individual plants having variance in DNA which would allow for selection of specific traits which are better suited for certain conditions. And an assumption of certain traits becoming more prominent over time, which would allow plants to adapt to different conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
People have dedicated their lives to worse pursuits. Bolting though, is a plant that loves its environment. Only when conditions are right does one wish to procreate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did research & found someone might have already done it.

There's a variety of cilantro known as culantro which is better adapted to higher temperatures.

Ask a Question