A Preservation Heading

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You mean as in preserving vegetables (canning, freezing, etc?)
I'm guessing the board overlords will know best, but to create a new forum for that would require multiple members and posters to have shown an interest in the topic and have they? The general board is a pretty good catch-all for such topics that don't generate wide interest, seems to me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Gardening is not only about growing a green plant. What th hell do you do with the fruit or vegetable produced? It appears the board overlords need some assistance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gardening is not only about growing a green plant. What th hell do you do with the fruit or vegetable produced? It appears the board overlords need some assistance.

Eat it? :D
By your logic, a cooking or recipe subforum is logical, and stretching it even further, nutrition and health..Or flower arranging, or dried plant arrangements, or dye plants, etc. But cooking/preserving/eating/decorating/dying is really merely tangential to gardening and this is a gardening forum, not a food or decor forum.
There are already many wonderful and active forums that address the specific interests of people who prepare, preserve, eat, dye with and otherwise utilize plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Eat it? :D
By your logic, a cooking or recipe subforum is logical, and stretching it even further, nutrition and health..Or flower arranging, or dried plant arrangements, or dye plants, etc. But cooking/preserving/eating/decorating/dying is really merely tangential to gardening and this is a gardening forum, not a food or decor forum.
There are already many wonderful and active forums that address the specific interests of people who prepare, preserve, eat, dye with and otherwise utilize plants

You are stretching the meaning into the absurd region.I beg to differ. Active gardening forums are almost non-existent. In fact vegetable gardening is almost a lost art in Canada. I have studied many garden forums, and have not arrived at my conclusion without some reflection. My area is amongst the best growing area in Canada, and in my neighborhood of around 3000 homes, there are no vegetable gardens that I know of. I might add the properties are very large with better than average soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I must agree with Beth_B. Those of us who grow vegetables do so because we use fresh vegetables, or can them for winter use, or freeze them, but most of all we enjoy the process of planting, caring, and harvesting.
To paraphrase, my area is among the best growing areas in Texas (we are surrounded by farms and ranches) and almost everyone has a vegetable garden, small or large, and being on blackland prairie,our soil is better than average.
I belong to two other very active gardening forums. I like this one for the friendly encouragement, good advice, and new ideas for my gardens. If I need recipes or help with dealing with a particular vegetable, there is space here to ask those questions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Sorry Preservation is a large part of any gardening particularly in an area of the country that has more Winter than Summer like most of NA. Zones 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, for example.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well not to beat a dead horse, and perhaps like myself I don't know that many seriously dedicated gardeners...but pretty much the only preserving I do, if I get around to it, is stewing and freezing some tomatoes. And I know quite a few people who have, like me, modest vegetable gardens that we enjoy during our short growing season but the rest of the year buy produce from the grocery store.

On the other hand, my mother is an avid gardener and forager but she runs a very, very successful wool business in Scotland. Her sheep and her garden (or what she forages wild) don't provide food at all, but plants for natural dyes. Many people have lovely gardens but don't grow vegetables at all. So I don't think I am being "absurd" in stretching the meaning or purpose of having a garden. I understand that preservation and having year-around food is a very important part of your gardening and you're clearly talented and dedicated and I think your dedication and skills are impressive in that regard! I'd love to be able to say I could do what you do with your veggie garden because I'm in a similar climate. But you are pretty much the only member here who posts regularly about your canning and juicing and so on, so I'm guessing board interest is not wide enough to warrant another subforum; the general gardening one works fine for that.

As to active gardening forums, I can think of several very active ones, much more active than this one (which is the only one I frequent because I like it here. :) ) Daves and GardenWeb come to mind. Also there are several big prepper forums with extensive discussion about preserving and such.

That's just my two cents anyhow; I guess it's up to admin to decide. You may want to move this thread to the feedback and comments subforum, or alert a mod or admin, so they can see and consider your suggestion. I don't know that Becky and Ian read many of the threads on the general board.

Reaction score
You mean as in preserving vegetables (canning, freezing, etc?)
I'm guessing the board overlords will know best, but to create a new forum for that would require multiple members and posters to have shown an interest in the topic and have they? The general board is a pretty good catch-all for such topics that don't generate wide interest, seems to me.

Not me :p I don't find preserving interesting at all... at least not now. I don't think many people are truly interested in that either, not the way the way Durgan is at least. But let's see what the forum owners say :) I think it'd be more interesting to me seeing recipes on how to preserve this and that, but then again I find those somewhere else...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do like preserved apricots, prunes, and a few things but I always bought them during the winter. There is no way I can do this on my own but it is always interesting to learn about the process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I do a lot of canning and see no reason to add extra forums here because there seems to be a total lack of interest. I do occasionally visit the other forum, mentioned above, when I wish to read about new innovations in food preservation.

it is an active forum and I have never seen one with more enthusiastic members-good enough for me!

Ask a Question