A new member, a new gardener!

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Hey all,

This is Moh from Switzerland. I am new member and very excited to be among you guys.

I have a couple of questions.

Since I have no real garden and I'm trying to plant seeds in vases and grow them in my terrace, do you think that I can find useful information in this forum?

Is there anyone among you guys who is experienced with vase planting?

Best Regards and happy gardening,
Moh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Where in Switzerland are you? I've got family in Zug.

Questions about container planting are very welcome here! What are you planning to grow?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Welcome to the forum! :)

Where in Switzerland are you? I've got family in Zug.

Questions about container planting are very welcome here! What are you planning to grow?
Thanks Becky.

I live in southern Switzerland, in sunny Lugano with the beautiful lake of Lugano. Have you been here?

Great, Zug is a very beautiful town, I suppose you usually come to Switzerland then :).

I am enthusiastic to grow basically everything ;). Right now I am growing Basi, Thai Basil and Shahi (a vegetable from the middle east). I am going to plant cherry tomatoes next. I would like to acquire some more information/knowledge before I start growing as I think it shouldn't be as easy as growing vegetables :rolleyes:.

Thanks for your help,
Moh.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Moh....nice to meet you. New here myself...just a few days...but it looks a nice place. The other end of the country from you...far west of Cornwall here
Not very knowledgeable about vase planting so will be interested in others' comments.:)
Cherry tomatoes in pots? Check the varieties you want to grow......some require greenhouse protection. Gardeners Delight for me is the best.
Use a john innes compost...I mix some perlite into it to help with drainage.....and dont be too eager to over pot. When your plants have filled their pots then pot on and repeat until you have them in, say, 5 litre pots. Avoid watering the foliage.....this seems to attract blight....so keep the water for the roots. Avoid erratic watering too...this can cause tomatoes to split. I spray a couple of times with diluted milk.....maintains a calcium level I find.
Enjoy your tomatoes Moh :)

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Hello Moh....nice to meet you. New here myself...just a few days...but it looks a nice place. The other end of the country from you...far west of Cornwall here
Not very knowledgeable about vase planting so will be interested in others' comments.:)
Cherry tomatoes in pots? Check the varieties you want to grow......some require greenhouse protection. Gardeners Delight for me is the best.
Use a john innes compost...I mix some perlite into it to help with drainage.....and dont be too eager to over pot. When your plants have filled their pots then pot on and repeat until you have them in, say, 5 litre pots. Avoid watering the foliage.....this seems to attract blight....so keep the water for the roots. Avoid erratic watering too...this can cause tomatoes to split. I spray a couple of times with diluted milk.....maintains a calcium level I find.
Enjoy your tomatoes Moh :)
Thank you Verdun for very useful information. There are some instructions on the package of the seeds I bought, I think I have to read them carefully in order to find out more about the suitable environment.

Good point about not watering the foliage. Should I avoid this for every plant or just cherry tomatoes?
How should I sow the seeds? In the same pot? Any special kind of soil? Did I understand correctly, one 5-liter pot for every seed?

Thank you again for your message,
Moh.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again Moh. No, many plants enjoy their foliage being watered. Tomatoes are susceptible to a few diseases and blight is one of them. For me the 2 best preventatives are keeping foliage dry and maintaining good ventilation. (You can help with air circulation by removing the old and yellowing leaves and not planting too close together)

No, sow seeds in trays Moh. As your plants grow you prick them out into individual pots and then into bigger pots. Some people use growbags....you may prefer these......but you only plant into these when your plants are at least 20 cm or more tall..

For now sow your seed....not too early. You need warmer temperatures. In the kitchen would do. When they germinate do nothing until they have formed plants.

Why not take it in stages? Keep us posted, maybe publish a picture or two and we can advise you step by step? It is a learning curve. Next year you will know so much more ;)

All worth it Moh.....home grown tomatoes are so much better than shop bought ones. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Moh! :)

Yes indeed, lots of us do container gardening here. I have basil, mint, tomatoes, eggplants, and year before last green beans. Most types of herbs do well, even in relatively small containers.

For some, like full sized tomatoes, you will need a five gallon container; cherry tomatoes you can get away with about three gallon size. (Sorry, I don't know what the metric equivalent is.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! We grow in containers (mostly herbs) and in-ground. Containers are great and easier to work with than in-ground.
If you are starting your own cherry tomatoes, start them in smaller containers (I use 4 inch deep ones) with two seeds to a container. When the little plants are ready to go into a bigger pot, simply transplant them, water them in good to get good soil contact with the roots, and let them rest in semi-shade for a day or two to prevent or lessen transplant shock, then move them to full sun.
Ask any questions you may have--you sound like a careful gardener, and we'd all love to help!

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Hello again Moh. No, many plants enjoy their foliage being watered. Tomatoes are susceptible to a few diseases and blight is one of them. For me the 2 best preventatives are keeping foliage dry and maintaining good ventilation. (You can help with air circulation by removing the old and yellowing leaves and not planting too close together)

No, sow seeds in trays Moh. As your plants grow you prick them out into individual pots and then into bigger pots. Some people use growbags....you may prefer these......but you only plant into these when your plants are at least 20 cm or more tall..

For now sow your seed....not too early. You need warmer temperatures. In the kitchen would do. When they germinate do nothing until they have formed plants.

Why not take it in stages? Keep us posted, maybe publish a picture or two and we can advise you step by step? It is a learning curve. Next year you will know so much more ;)

All worth it Moh.....home grown tomatoes are so much better than shop bought ones. :)
Thank you again, was very very useful. I make sure to take pictures and keep you updated.

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Hi Moh! :)

Yes indeed, lots of us do container gardening here. I have basil, mint, tomatoes, eggplants, and year before last green beans. Most types of herbs do well, even in relatively small containers.

For some, like full sized tomatoes, you will need a five gallon container; cherry tomatoes you can get away with about three gallon size. (Sorry, I don't know what the metric equivalent is.)
Thank you Beth for your message. Wow, you have a great experience. I'm going to bother you more later for more info ;).

Don't worry about the metrics, I will do the conversion. I think cherry tomatoes would be my first serious experience and then I am going to be more confident to go for more serious ones (y)

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Welcome! We grow in containers (mostly herbs) and in-ground. Containers are great and easier to work with than in-ground.
If you are starting your own cherry tomatoes, start them in smaller containers (I use 4 inch deep ones) with two seeds to a container. When the little plants are ready to go into a bigger pot, simply transplant them, water them in good to get good soil contact with the roots, and let them rest in semi-shade for a day or two to prevent or lessen transplant shock, then move them to full sun.
Ask any questions you may have--you sound like a careful gardener, and we'd all love to help!
Very well, thank you for your message. You sound very experienced. I will start sowing them in two weeks. I'll make sure to keep you posted to get your valuable experience and knowledge. Thanks.

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
These are my vegetables. I planted them last week. Sowed them in this soil which is apparently special for sowing seeds. I feel like I made a mistake by putting seeds very close to each other, well the first experience :D
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_9282.JPG
    IMG_9282.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9283.JPG
    IMG_9283.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_9284.JPG
    IMG_9284.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 252
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)A warm welcome to you @Moh as you can see by the comments above, there are quite a few people who do container gardening and will be happy to share experiences and information with you. Looking good! Whatever is in the 3rd photo is certainly an exuberant grower(y)

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
:)A warm welcome to you @Moh as you can see by the comments above, there are quite a few people who do container gardening and will be happy to share experiences and information with you. Looking good! Whatever is in the 3rd photo is certainly an exuberant grower(y)
Indeed. I planted them all on the same day and here we go. That's Shahi (garden cress) from the middle east. I am amazed how fast it grows ;)

Ask a Question