A little potato help

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello everyone,
I'm having an issue with my potatoes here are a few things.....
- its in a container
-its got through a little cold weather
- its with other potato plants

Here are some pictures ....
20170322_085427.jpg
20170322_085418.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Anthony, the small new leaves in the center of the plant are a very good sign that your plant will survive. We plant in-ground rather than in containers, but I've had newly emerged potato leaves completely frost-bitten, and the plants survived and gave us nice potatoes.
Purple potatoes may be different from the white and the red ones we grow, but I doubt if there is much difference in the growing habit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I'd let it dry out quite a bit and then check how damp it is a few inches under, go buy some hay or even use lawn clippings and as the plant grows ad this around the plant it'll help keep it moist and will help produce a larger yield as the plant gets taller and you ad more hay compost etc the potatoes will fill in the container. As marlingardener states the new growth is a good sign.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How things seem to differ in different parts of the world roadrunner, it's fascinating :)
In U.K. And here in France, our potoatoes love quote a bit of water. Do you get a large crop from not watering?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How things seem to differ in different parts of the world roadrunner, it's fascinating :)
In U.K. And here in France, our potoatoes love quote a bit of water. Do you get a large crop from not watering?
This is something that I've learned from experience, but it's important to note that my soil has a lot of organic matter from very heavy mulching and composting, which I do to amend my extremely sandy soil; so the potato has plenty of water without me needing to water. Also, I've read a lot of stories on how potato crops have been destroyed by too much rain, because they seem to be more prone to growing funky things in the presence of excess moisture; I believe it's best to have a less moisture than just a little too much -- but I'm not potato expert, just seems to work for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Roadrunner, and yes I see what you mean. Last year I grew in pots and bags....(quite the norm in uk and in France) and fed well with all sorts of organic material including feeding them during the growth. This year I have a few rows in the ground...(I have clay soil), and I will do some in bags also. I may try out some with your method and see how I go. At the very least it will be good to check on what or doesn't work. :)

Ask a Question