A deer field

Reaction score
I have NEVER heard of anyone planting grass and trees just for deer, or any live animal that happens to be in the area. My husband and I was driving down a country road and we happened to see a CITY sign that said "Deer Field" and gave orders that no one was to pick anything growing nor cut the grass. I honestly never heard of anyone doing such a thing. I was shocked to actually see something like this.

Reaction score
We have areas that are dedicated specifically to wildlife - mainly birds. There are signs telling people not to pick the berries (wile blueberries and blackberries). While there are a few paths through the area, it has turned into mainly a wild bramble patch. The blackberry thorns do a far better job than the signs for keeping people out. Even so, I often see people with large buckets harvesting in there. I don't think the municipality actually enforces the no picking zone. It is unfortunate because there are lots of place where one can pick legally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I plant vetch and oats for the deer and hogs. I spend very little on beef and pork. I seperate my vegetable garden and my oat patch by an electrified fence + HVLP

Reaction score
I had heard about this before and I must say it's a great idea! It's good you guys plant a lot grass for the deers and other wild animals in your area! Over here that's not a common practice :( There are many empty fields right now where I live. It would be great if someone stepped in and planted something for the local wildlife.

Ask a Question