A Cool Wasp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think wasps have the best design. I like a sports car that has that same vibe. Am I wrong?
IMG_20190313_095039.jpg
buga1.jpg

Bug-atti

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
(y)
I have one just like it. I drive it every night in my sleep. I am, of course, very cool. The girls flock to me and want to be the mother of my children, but I'm also a righteous guy and wouldn't think about cheating on my wife of 50 years.
A wife of your dreams as well then, I would think!(y)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How big are your wasps over in the States? That one looks pretty big!

We tend to get tiny ones (under 20mm) for the most part:

A couple of times when we've been to Florida/Mexico, we've seen HUGE wasp looking insects. The locals didn't seem bothered by them at all though, but I'd never seen whatever they were :eek:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How big are your wasps over in the States? That one looks pretty big!

We tend to get tiny ones (under 20mm) for the most part:

A couple of times when we've been to Florida/Mexico, we've seen HUGE wasp looking insects. The locals didn't seem bothered by them at all though, but I'd never seen whatever they were :eek:.
The one in the pic is called a red wasp. He is about 1 1/4 inches long. He also has a painful sting but he is not very aggressive. His first cousin the red and black paper wasp is a different story. This guy is aggressive and has an even more painful sting than the red paper wasp. He normally isn't a big as the red wasp and gets to about 1 1/2 long. We have lots of different wasps in Texas and most of them sting and most of them are beneficial. I guess the largest wasp here is the tarantula hawk wasp and he gets to at least 2 inches and although not aggressive at all has an extremely painful sting. Supposedly the most painful wasp sting in the world. When I was a kid I caught one and then he caught me. Thought I was going to die. I guess the most common wasp here is called a yellow jacket. He lives just about everywhere and is aggressive with a painful sting. These wasps will actually chase you and attack if you mess with their nests but they are also the most beneficial. They eat caterpillars, particularly the tent caterpillar that lives in big tents made of what looks like spider webs high up in pecan trees.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, those things tower over the little things we have here :ROFLMAO:. Thanks for the info @Chuck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I fell into a ground hornet / wasp den when I lived in Florida. I wound up getting stung 53 times. I am eternally grateful to two ambulance drivers and the shots they gave me. It was an all around unpleasant experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I fell into a ground hornet / wasp den when I lived in Florida. I wound up getting stung 53 times. I am eternally grateful to two ambulance drivers and the shots they gave me. It was an all around unpleasant experience.
I was out hunting with my dog a few years back when my dog fell into a ground wasp nest. He ran but they swarmed him and killed him. There were hundreds of them all over him. He died before I could carry him back to the truck. I came back that night and wiped out the nest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I was out hunting with my dog a few years back when my dog fell into a ground wasp nest. He ran but they swarmed him and killed him. There were hundreds of them all over him. He died before I could carry him back to the truck. I came back that night and wiped out the nest.

Had it not been for my swimming pool I would have died. Fortunately wasps can’t swim. I guess I should thank my wife for dialing 9-1-1 too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I was about 5 years old I was walking through a field next to my house and kicked a rolled-up newspaper. It was some kind of buzzing kind of critters hotel and fortunately when I heard the tell-tale sound I ran like hell to my screened door without looking, and didn't get strung. I never, ever disturb anything now without looking it over closely.

Ask a Question