8 Indoor, Air-Purifying Herbs

Reaction score
You can tell I have a special interest for air-purifying herbs ;) I've been reading a lot on the topic and to be honest I was surprised at some of those findings!

• Rosemary
  • Lavender
  • Basil
  • Mint
  • Jasmine
  • Geranium
  • Coffee plant
  • Woodbine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Boy, how I wish I have a place inside my house to keep these herbs! None of my rooms have decent lighting, especially in the winter. Right now, I am trying to test out if my cilantro will keep growing in water, and I keep it on my laundry room window's sill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is so interesting, I didn't know that basil and lavender are air-purifying herbs. I'm glad I grow them both:D I have two lavender plants and three basil plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I've never tried growing herbs inside. I always plant them in the spring in my garden. I think I'm going to have to try it not only for the fresh herbs all year round but for the air purifying qualities. I love fresh basil and rosemary. I cook with cilantro all the time. I wonder how it would grow indoors. Do these herbs require a lot of light?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
It's sad that our basil died. It was neglected when we went on vacation. The housemaid forgot to water it and the unusual heat of the sun had dried the plant. But we still have the mint so maybe we can have some mint potted and used as interior decoration in the living room together with the welcome plant. It's a good feeling to think that plants give us purified air, just like eating a harvest from your backyard, it tastes more delicious than the one bought in the market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I have a couple of large Rosemary bushes out the front of my house - and I had basil growing in the summer although that's died now that the cold has settled in here! Good to know that Rosemary is not only good in cooking but good for the air too!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard of air-purifying plants, but it never occurred to me to see what herbs might do the same. Having a few of these or a combination around your house would make everything smell amazing, with the added bonus of cleaner air! I may have to invest in a few of these. It might help my asthma!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for this list. This is very good to know. Especially during the winter months I feel like I need to air out my home from sickness and just being inside all the time.

I currently grow basil, mint and rosemary. I’ve actually never heard of a few of the other plants. The coffee plant looks really interesting! Does anyone else have them? Are they hard to take care of? I want to do some more research on this plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You can tell I have a special interest for air-purifying herbs ;) I've been reading a lot on the topic and to be honest I was surprised at some of those findings!

• Rosemary
  • Lavender
  • Basil
  • Mint
  • Jasmine
  • Geranium
  • Coffee plant
  • Woodbine
This is so interesting, I have never thought of herbs that purify the air! This is awesome to know for so many reasons. Great incentive to start growing them!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never thought about the air purifying effects of growing herbs indoors. But it makes sense. I always burn sage during the winter months because i know that it is air purifying and antiseptic. It also helps with my S.A.D. (winter blues) because it smells like spring!

Ask a Question