Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
I'm new to this forum. My wife and I live in Nayarit, Mexico. I've been a gardener for about 10 yrs. My wife bought some plants but we don't know what their name are. If any one in this group would be able to help we would be very greatfull. Thank you

Attachments

• Unknown name Plant 1.JPG
    Unknown name Plant 1.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 926
  • Unknown name Plant 2.JPG
    Unknown name Plant 2.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 681
  • Unknown name Plant 3.JPG
    Unknown name Plant 3.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 698
  • Unknown name Plant 4.JPG
    Unknown name Plant 4.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 694
  • Unknown name Plant 5.JPG
    Unknown name Plant 5.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 707
Reaction score
Hopefully this will help

Plant 1 - Aptenia Cordifolia - drought tolerant perennial

Aptenia Cordifolia.jpg

Plant 2 - Impatiens New Guinea Hybrid - normally an annual but perennial in some climates

Impatiens new guinea hybrids.jpg

Plant 3 - Lamparanthus - drought tolerant perennial

lampranthus_species_hotflash_form.jpg

Plant 4 - Gazania - perennial but classed as an annual in cold climates

Gazania BLG aa.JPG

Plant 5 - Petunia an annual

petunia.jpg

All these plants I grow myself and have done so for many years - so if you need any help regarding growing conditions or propagation techniques - will be more than happy to help out :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
IMG_2807.JPG
IMG_2924.JPG
Alo Vera 1.JPG
Alo Vera 2.JPG
Hopefully this will help

View attachment 2135

Plant 2 - Impatiens New Guinea Hybrid - normally an annual but perennial in some climates

View attachment 2137

View attachment 2138

View attachment 2141

View attachment 2142

All these plants I grow myself and have done so for many years - so if you need any help regarding growing conditions or propagation techniques - will be more than happy to help out :)
Hopefully this will help

View attachment 2135

View attachment 2137

View attachment 2138

View attachment 2141

View attachment 2142

Thank you gata montes for providing the name of my plants. Will the Petunia not come back next year? Are all these plants easy to Propagate from cuttings in soil or in water? Do you know about roses, cactus and succulents? I have some rose that are not looking good. Maybe you might have some suggestion and know the names of them? My Alo Vera is not very green but it keep making new plants. My wife thinks it needs to be water every 3 days. Right now the weather each day is about 80 F. Thank you again gata montes

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Colombian14! Great to have you here :) being currently sat at my desk in the UK with intermittent rain showers, I am very envious of your sunshine!!

I know that Aloe Vera can go red from too much sun, so perhaps try moving the pot somewhere with a little more shade - near other plants perhaps? As long as the soil is moist then it is getting enough water - if you stick your finger in and it feels dry then give it a drink.

I'm not an expert on roses but those leaves look scorched to me - perhaps increase the amount of watering, and if they are in a movable tub then move them out of direct sunlight (if they are in it).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
Thank you Becky. I will try your suggestions and we will see how the plants do. Another thing that might be the issue with the roses is that there a lot of dust in the air during the dry season. If I spray the leaves off in the morning do you think they will get black spot or mildew? Thank you again Becky

Reaction score
Colombian14 - You're welcome and yes that is right your Petunia - as it is an annual will not come back next year - but all the others will and are extremely easy to propagate - but in soil rather than water as the majority of them are succulents and therefore because they contain a fair amount of water in their leaves - will rot if placed in water :)

The Apentia Cordifolia and the Lamparanthus are both easily propagated by snipping off a few stems and placing them in free draining soil - they root extremely quickly and more often than not - become a fully grown flowering plant in less than six weeks - they do however not like too much water and once established - even in very hot temperatures only need watering once or twice a month - they like plenty of sunlight too.

The Gazanias quickly multiply and are best propagated by division and again placed in free draining soil rather than water - they too root very quickly - resulting in a flowering plant in next to no time. They require plenty of sun and very little water - again about once to twice a month in hot weather and they are best watered from below the foliage - as they don't like water - especially tap water getting onto their leaves.

The Impatiens is the only one of your plants that can be rooted in water - however I've found that it works best when propagated by division or by taking stem cuttings and placing them in free draining soil. As you are like me and live in a climate that has long hours of very hot sun - you may find that this plant responds better to light shade rather than full sun and that it will probably require more water than any of the others.

Yes I do also know about how to care for and propagate roses, cactus and succulents and would agree with you that the plants in your recent pictures are not looking quite as good as they should,

I love the color of your second rose - its gorgeous - however due to their being so many roses of similar colors - all having different names - it is unfortunately very hard to know exactly what the name of yours would be,

Roses - the discoloring on the leaves could be caused by a number of things - such as being sprayed by a tom cat , scorch from where water has splashed onto the leaves or by a bug or virus - but has the discoloration doesn't appear to be universal would say that it is possibly one of the former - but both could do with some serious pruning and as now its a very good time to be pruning roses - would suggest that you cut out all the dead and crossing over stems and then cut back all the stems by half - if you want to propagate the cuttings from the prunings - just place in soil and you'll find they will root - real quick :)

Oh your poor Aloe is a very sorry sight and I have to say - I think that one of the main problems is too much TLC or overwatering - as Aloes require very little water and have found that even in temperatures of around 45 - 48 C - they only need to be watered once a month and unfortunately with Aloes - it can take some time before you know that the roots have rotted due to overwatering - as the plant often looks quite healthy.
As Aloe leaves sometimes discolor when there is sudden drop in temperature or when caught by a chilly gust of wind - this plus overwatering - are possibly what is causing your Aloe to look like it does. However saying that so long as the leaves are firm and not limp and squashy - it should recover and become green again when given less water.

Think I've covered everything and hope the information is adequate - if not am more than happy to help out :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
Hello gata montes,

Thank you again for your wealth of information about my plants. I will try your suggestion for each plant. My wife said that when she lived alone she would water her aloe vera every 3 days during hot season and it would be very green. She also said that the lady she works for has an aloe vera in concrete raised bed on the top of her house that gets about 6 hrs sun and the rest of the day shade and it is green. I read online about the aloe vera it talked about letting the plant dry out before watering. I water it about every 3 wks. I forgot to say that all the plans are south facing. I put the other plants that needed more shade in the back of the house. They got burned from the sun hopefully they come back. I took off the dead flowers & leaves. When the plants start to look better I will repost the photos. I appreciate your help thank you.

Reaction score
Colombian14 - Once again - you are welcome and feel more than sure that by following the guidelines I have given - you'll be more than happy with the results and hopefully you will post some pictures of your new babies once they are established - for us to see.

With regard to your Aloe- yes that is correct - allow the plant dry out before watering it and although I've been growing them for well over 20 years now - in the initial stages I very quickly learn that to be true.
Although many plants including Aloes require full sun for between 6 to 8 hours - in hot climates where the suns rays are particularly strong - a little afternoon shade for these plants is actually beneficial
Aloes are normally green whatever happens to them - in fact even they are dying or actually dead they will remain green for weeks to months afterwards - it is normally only too much water or frost damage that will cause a whole plant to turn brown.

Meanwhile - shall look forward to seeing the photos of your plants - once they have fully recovered and are back to their former glory :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the gorgeous photos! Its been a looooooong and very cold winter so its nice to see some flowers and bright colors. Welcome to the forum, its a great place to meet other gardeners and share ideas as well as learn something new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
Here are 2 more plants unknown names. These are new from my wife boss's house. I have them in the house south facing window. Thank you
Unknown Plant 6.JPG
Unknown Plant 7a.JPG
Unknown Plant 7b.JPG

Thanks for the gorgeous photos! Its been a looooooong and very cold winter so its nice to see some flowers and bright colors. Welcome to the forum, its a great place to meet other gardeners and share ideas as well as learn something new.

Thank you firelily99 I'm enjoying the interaction with fellow gardeners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
gata montes thank you. I took some new photos of the Aloe vera today and they seem to be doing better with more water. I think they were too dry. We will see how it goes. If they don't get any better I will put them in more shaded area. I will add new photos of the other plants when they are doing better. Thank you gata montes
IMG_2951.JPG
IMG_2952.JPG
IMG_2946.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Colombian14 - as I mentioned before - having grown Aloes for many years - I don't actually think that the reason as to why yours turned brown - is due to lack of water - so would urge you to be cautious in that area and think that perhaps your better option would be - to move them to into light shade and give them less water while they recover - and having given some further thought to this - even think that they would have turned green again without extra water - as they may have turned brown due to fluctuating temperatures during their dormant stage and are now coming out of that and returning to their former glory.

With regard to you two new plants.

Your first plant could be one of two either a Caladium or an Xanthosoma - but I actually think - that it is one of the green varieties of Caladium because of its heart shaped leaves as well as the markings or leaf pattern - and as you actually have the plant at your disposal and are better able to see at first hand which you think it may be - am posting pictures of both

This is Caladium or Angel's Wings - which I think best resembles your plant

caladium.jpg

Xanthosoma Sagitaefolia or Arrowhead Elephant Ears - which grows very much larger than the Caladium

Xanthosoma sagitaefolia.jpg

Both of the above require filtered sunlight and slightly moist well drained soil.

Your second plant on first sight - I thought to be one of the rarer forms of Kalanchoe - but I think that I would probably be more correct in saying that - I think that it is a Pletranthus Verticillatus or Swedish Ivy which is a semi-succulent vine like plant often grown as ground cover or as a trailing plant in hanging baskets

plectranthus-verticillatus-3.jpg

Plectranthus_verticillatus_01.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
Here are 2 more plants unknown names. These are new from my wife boss's house. I have them in the house south facing window. Thank you View attachment 2164View attachment 2165View attachment 2166

Thank you firelily99 I'm enjoying the interaction with fellow gardeners.

gata montes, I check online and I think that
unknown-plant-7b-jpg.2166

is Plectranthus verticillatus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plectranthus_verticillatus

Yesterday a lady I work with let me have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthosoma_sagittifolium
IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

Thank you gata montes

Reaction score
Colombian14 - you are more than welcome and am very pleased to hear that your second plant has now been identified and is what I thought it to be - a Plectranthus Virticillatus and not a rare variety of Kalanchoe :)

How about the first plant - do you think it is a Caladium - especially as you've now had the chance to see the difference between a Caladium and a Xanthosoma - as you've recently been lucky enough to acquire an Xanthosoma Sagittifolium - which I have to say is a very healthy looking specimen :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
Thank you gata montes for the compliment on my Xanthosoma sagittifolium plant. I found it growing in the shade with some of the other plants.
I think that my plant
unknown-plant-6-jpg.2164

is the same as the photo you showed
caladium-jpg.2187

Caladium.What is the website that you found this photo? I wasn't able to find this exact plant. I saw many other beautiful different colored Caladiums
http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=caladiums plant The Caladiums also looks very similar to an angel wing begonia. In the past I've had Angel wing begonias. Maybe they are part of the same family of plants? You are very knowledgeable on plants. I appreciate all you advice.

Ask a Question