5 months of fretting is starting.........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.......to pay off with bounty.........
20190605_062503.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Squash borer got mine. I'm drowning in Cherry tomatoes though. Peppers are all going slow and I have exactly one cucumber almost ready. For some reason my beans and pumpkin and melon all seem stuck just past seedling stage. Not sure what's going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Have had 2 plantings of squash just burn up......even while watering them.
I was watering the garden -deep- 3 times per week for a while. Soil soaking more or less. In the lawn I would leave a sprinkler in the same place several hours, at least 2. Sort of a "forgot the sprinkler" style. Less moving of hoses for sure, and the effect lasted quite a while. The garden has hill rows and I could see the moisture in the paths which are several inches lower than the hillrow surface, so that was easier to time out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Squash borer got mine. I'm drowning in Cherry tomatoes though. Peppers are all going slow and I have exactly one cucumber almost ready. For some reason my beans and pumpkin and melon all seem stuck just past seedling stage. Not sure what's going on.
Heat maybe. I tilled in 12³ and lime for a near 7pH start. I overdid and tilled in 3 cups of humagro promax which is humic and thyme oil. It was spray treatment, till, spray, till, spray, till. When I planted, I used 1\2 cup or a good handful of epsoma tomato tone mixed into the bottom of the transplant holes, but not the seeds. They got more as they flowered. My weirdness is that the squash plants in between the tomatoes are so much larger for the most part than the row of squash only. I hit it early with Pyrethrin and spinsad and bT. No real damage of bugs much, but some holes in leaves. My big fear is bacterial wilt, especially on the cucumber. I have almost zero fungal activity, which for me is absolutely odd.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This year I planted all my tomatoes and peppers in pots. With our lack of rain, I am very glad I did. My tomatoes are heirloom and have no resistance to anything. Sterilized potting soil and compost gives them a fighting chance.

As far as stuff not growing- my leeks are doing nothing. I planted them last fall and the survived the winter but haven’t grown at all since spring. My Turnips also seem to be at a standstill. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This year I planted all my tomatoes and peppers in pots. With our lack of rain, I am very glad I did. My tomatoes are heirloom and have no resistance to anything. Sterilized potting soil and compost gives them a fighting chance.

As far as stuff not growing- my leeks are doing nothing. I planted them last fall and the survived the winter but haven’t grown at all since spring. My Turnips also seem to be at a standstill. :(
I was using some superthrive until flower. I would try both that and some fruit set spray for 3 waterings and see what happens. Or auxin and cytokinin, same difference. Sort of force it to bush with the auxin for point growth or force the gears of reproduction with the cytokinin.

Ask a Question