Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
5 May 2019 Sweet Potato Slips
Posted on May 5, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/May 2019/5 May 2019 Sweet Potato Slips/HTML/ 5 May 2019 Sweet Potato Slips
Sweet potato slips were produced from a purchased supermarket tuber. The potato was placed in water,and light and allowed to grow for about a month. They were then placed in a growing pot and will allowed to grow for about a month. They will be about 4 inches high and then will be planted outdoors when it is warm about 24 May in my area, Zone 5. Even these small slips will grow without further pot growing. I expect 3 to 5 pounds from each plant depending much upon warm weather. Harvest is late Fall.
dsc_0112_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Marginal under cover here, so not worthy of the precious space they would take.
Better to grow butternut squash and mix with potato here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Marginal under cover here, so not worthy of the precious space they would take.
Better to grow butternut squash and mix with potato here.

Sweet potato are grown more and more in my area. Market is not huge. We have them all year in the supermarkets. They keep well. If the Summer is hot they thrive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Indeed, I believe you have to store them a minimum of six weeks before they're any good, as it takes this long for the starch to turn to sugar.
Do you find this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Indeed, I believe you have to store them a minimum of six weeks before they're any good, as it takes this long for the starch to turn to sugar.
Do you find this?

At harvest in September I just brush the tubers and place in the root cellar. I eat them fresh dug and enjoy them very much. The thrust being I don't store or take any steps before roasting and eating. They are a fine food IMO. I cannot get the same relish for squash, probably since I never really tried.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grow them as well. we eat them fresh from the ground and they are plenty sweet and flavorful

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Thanks. I am familiar with the curing and storage. I usually only have had about 20 pounds maximum to date. Rabbits I can control but a cool Summer not. The plant likes Sun and heat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't trying to familiarise you with it, I was posting to test its validity with people (plural) whose knowledge and experience I have learned to trust.

Ask a Question