4 September 2015 Pear Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/September 2015/4 September 2015 Pear Juice/HTML/index.htm 4 September 2015 Pear Juice
Forty pounds, a bushel, of purchased pears,$25.00, were allowed to ripen for four days and made into 37 liter jars of pressure canned juice. The stem of the pear was pulled off and the fruit cut into quarters to facilitate cooking.Water was added to the pot to cover the pears. Two batches of 20 pounds each was required. The pears were cooked until soft about 20 minutes, then blended into a homogeneous slurry. The slurry was strained through a food mill with a mesh of 2mm to remove all extraneous material. The residue of the food mill was put through a Champion Juicer to extract all nutrients.The strained juice was placed in liter jar and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage without refrigeration.Pictures depict the processing.
dsc_70294%20september%202015%20pear%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
How I wish I could sample that pear juice in the photo. This is the first time I've heard of pear juice. There are lots of fruit juice here, particularly the imported ones, apple juice, orange, mango, grapefruit and some others but there's no pear juice. But it would be great if the pear used for the juice were harvested from your tree. That's like our mango tree where we harvest the fruits for preserving.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Scrumptious pear juice for the entire year now!

Ask a Question