Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
30 January 2019 Tempeh Lentil (Success)
Posted on January 31, 2019 by Durgan
18 January 2019 Tempeh Lentil
http://durgan.org/2019/31 January 2019 Lentil Tempeh/HTML/ 31 January 2019 Lentil Tempeh
Five hundred ml, about a pound, of yellow dehulled split lentils purchased from bulk barn were made into tempeh. The lentils were washed, placed in the pressure cooker and cooked for 30 to 45 minutes at 15 PSI. This made a mush from the lentils. They were then cooled to 20C, room temperature, and tempeh starter was added and mixed well.The lentils were then placed in molds ad inserted in the fermenter set at 31C. Fermentation takes about 36 hours. This method is utilized, since the lentils do not soften enough for the starter to penetrate the beans if cooked whole and the product is not satisfactory. The end product is a most pleasant tempeh with little effort. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_0006_std.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Is it any good fried for breakfast? :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Is it any good fried for breakfast? :)

I often just take a slice and eat raw so to speak with my gruel in the morning. But fried it is much nicer. A splash of butter or oil, add the slices and toast one side, then flip and toast the other. I add a splash of water to increase temperature with a lid. The whole process takes only a few minutes. I often eat a few slices with a baked potato. The product is much like a piece of meat and is very filling. It tends to absorb the condiment used.There are numerous recipes on the internet which I have never tried. I have also tried it with a touch of jam. It is new to me so am still experimenting.

Ask a Question