30 day usable compost: reality or fantasy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
So I've been casually making compost for about a year. I have a 33 gallon tote with lots of holes drilled in the bottom and sides that I dump dead leaves and grass clippings into which I turn infrequently. I got about 2 square feet of compost for having it cooking for about a year. I can't tell you how excited I was to see my tiny pile of black gold!

This year I want to get more involved: two heaps going at once, turn on a regular basis, etc.. Reason being I want to get away from Osmocote for feeding my gardens, and I want to put together about 4 42"x42"x6" raised beds. So I'll need a lot more compost a lot sooner than next year. In my search for information I found this page: https://www.diynatural.com/how-to-compost/
So my question is this: has anybody actually managed to get usable compost in around 30 days? How did you do it? Would you recommend it for a weekend gardener?
Edit: I probably will buy bags of compost from the store, but if I can make 4 more square feet of compost before planting season, it's that much less I have to purchase.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
First, welcome to the forum!
We are in Central Texas, zone 8a or b, and have two compost piles. I've never used compost after 30 days because we add chicken manure to the active pile, and it takes a while to decompose. I read the article, and chopping up the additives will help them break down faster. Try it, and see what it looks and smells like after 30 days (it should smell like earth--I know because I was sifting and spreading compost this morning:LOL:).
If you want to get away from Osmocote, try an organic fertilizer until your compost ripens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think 30 days is a bit over optimistic. The warmer it becomes the faster it will compost and the fastest I have ever made good compost is about 90 days. I guess it would depend on what you are composting. I only use garden and kitchen waste and don't chop them up into very small pieces either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I don't think i would be too keen on putting all my kitchen scraps though a blender. Ref the following regarding how i do my compost, with a fairly good turn around time. It is the last post on this thread. Keep in mind i live in a very warm climate so that might give me an advantage. I am sure there are folks who do not approve of my method, but i sure do appreciate the odorless black gold it produces. I've never actually checked the time, because it depends on when the last layer of compost material is put in, but it seems quick to me. And a warm welcome to you:)

https://www.gardening-forums.com/th...attract-ants-flies-roaches-or-any-pest.10138/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have an ongoing compost pile...But I'm in a cold climate and just assume months rather than days.

I do have a Vitamix blender which is awesome, but blendering my scraps and kitchen leftovers? Not going to happen. o_O

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I guess I'll step up and admit to being the oddball in the bunch. :cautious: :D

I often do run my scraps through a blender and pour it in my compost!! It breaks it down quicker in the compost, makes it easier for the worms in the compost to eat it, and the added water helps keep the compost from drying out. (y)

I'll throw any veggie waste in an empty plastic coffee container, and put it in the freezer until I'm ready to blend a batch. ("Ready" means I have a sufficient amount of waste, and the time to do it.)

At first, I hesitated, due to the "ick factor." My household blender? The one I make frozen margaritas in? Oh no, no way, not my blender!! Easy fix - I went to a couple yard sales, and found a blender for $3. It lasted about three years, and then it died on me. Truth be told, I think I killed it. :( I'm now on my second yard sale blender.

Note - the harder an object is, the smaller you should cut the chunks before you put them in the blender. (Note to self - a pumpkin is much harder than a watermelon rind!! :oops: Who knew?)

That said, I do think 30 days is a bit optimistic. :unsure:

Ask a Question