28 August 2015 Bartlett Pear Ripening

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/August 2015/28 August 2015 Bartlett Pear Ripening/HTML/ 28 August 2015 Bartlett Pear Ripening
Pears,Bartlett, picked your own, from the Niagara Peninsula today for 25 dollars.
The pears in this picture are all “green,” even the two in the third quadrant, which got a “suntan” so it has a rosy spot.The pears are all hard.
Fruit produces a natural ethylene gas, which causes it to ripen. The riper it gets, the more gas it gives off, which will cause the other fruit around it to ripen too.So to ripen pears, you should enclose them so this gas will be trapped around the fruit.I place a thick towel over the basket and put the bushel in a relatively cool place in the house.To tell if they are ripe, just gently press with a finger near the stem, on the pear’s “shoulder.” A ripe pear will give a little. Check daily since pears can over ripen quickly.
http://www.mynewoldschool.com/2009/08/25/picking-and-ripening-pears/ Article
dsc_809128%20august%202015%20ripening%20pears_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think I have ever tried barlett pear juice! I love eating them when they are still crunchy not when they are soft. I like how the flesh holds together..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I'm the exact opposite I will wait for the bartlett pear to ripen until the skin is a pale yellow and flesh is soft. I love them right out of the fridge, cold and juicy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
My only choice is to leave the pears in the basket, since there are too many to fit into my refrigerator. I hope it works.

Ask a Question