26 April 2017 Planting Parsnips

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/April%202017/26%20April%202017%20Planting%20Parsnips/HTML/ 26 April 2017 Planting Parsnips
Two types of Parsnip seed were planted using the board method. The two types are Javelin and Hollow Crown. Parsnip are slow germinating and it is recommended to use fresh seed from the year before crop. It is a nutritious vegetable and is most pleasant if care is taken find a recipe suitable to your taste. It steam cooks in minutes. It transplants poorly so direct seeding is more suitable. Spacing should be around six inches, since the roots get large. Parsnips were used as we use potatoes today, since they store well in a root cellar.

dsc_6527_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, I make 15" deep cones with a wrecking bar, loosely fill them with previously used compost, sow three seeds per hole, 8" between centres covered with a sprinkling of compost and watered in.

Parsnips transplant fine, if you're not worried about the shape of them. (They tend to grow a bit like inflated rubber kitchen gloves)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I assume the cone purpose is to have a loose soil for root development. My soil is loose for about 12 inches. Do you have concerns about germination?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I assume the cone purpose is to have a loose soil for root development. My soil is loose for about 12 inches. Do you have concerns about germination?
I have thought about the plank method for germination, and temperatures are are all over the place at the moment, so I'm quite prepared to sow again if this batch of seeds hasn't been successful.
Yes loose soil and no stones, but also depletion of nutrients helps to guard against forking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
My season is usually short for growing and seldom get a second chance. Frost free is basically June, July and August. I have no stones.

Ask a Question