Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
25 July 2020 Tomato Juice
Posted on July 25, 2020 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2020/July 2020/25 July 2020 Tomato Juice/HTML/ 25 July 2020 Tomato Juice
About 15 pounds of tomatoes from the garden were turned into 8 liters of tomato juice. To facilitate cooking one liter of water was added to the cooking pot.The juice was then pressure cooked at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. The juice is essentially pure except for the addition of a liter of water. Each liter is about 2 pounds of tomatoes.This is the first for this years.
dsc_4781_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Durgan ....another interesting post :) Is there a reason for adding water? I always do mine without, as they juice up so well and so quickly. I make sauces with mine when there is a glut, that way I can add all sorts of other veggies that need using up, and they all go in the freezer :wacky:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
There were some tomatoes similar to Roma with much skin. I felt they would not be juicy enough. The normal fat tomato I cook in their own juice. This year is not a good tomato year for me. Very cold Spring. Now I am in droughty conditions. There was little rain during June and quite hot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We`ve grown Roma this year, as well as Manx marvels and another one I can`t remember the name of - one we took seeds out of that we got at the supermarket. We had a lot of humidity, and Zigs sprayed with bordeaux mixture a few times when he got the alerts for blight watch.
Do you think I should add water to the Romas then ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I was looking a canning in previous years, and the pounds per liter for tomatoes is from about two to four. I only juice and it probably doesn't matter if you are in range. I do not grow Roma. Actually any tomato is fine for juicing. I like to have around 80 liters tomato juice. juice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
random question most of what you can seems to be at 15psi for 15 minutes so you could can beans and tomatoes at the same time correct?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The pressure canning criteria is to have all ingredients in the jars reach 240F for about 15 minutes. This kills all harmful things. I do this by slurry/juice everything. (Only plant material)

Anything home canned or preserved material is never like the fresh product, but it is the only method mortals have. My method indicate it is sound. I consume about a liter a day of various carefully pressure canned products (slurry/juice) with no adverse effects. It works and is easy to accomplish in the domestic environment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
random question most of what you can seems to be at 15psi for 15 minutes so you could can beans and tomatoes at the same time correct?

My thrust is all plant material. I mix and match as required.

Ask a Question