24 April 2016 Vidalia onions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/April 2016/24 April 2016 Vidalia onions/HTML 24 April 2016 Vidalia onions
Bought a container of Vidalia onions and planted 34 in the garden. Annotated pictures depict the process. This is my first experience with this onion.
dsc_939724%20april%202016%20vidalia%20onions_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Vidalia onions are a SHORT DAY onion. In Canada you will be lucky to get decent tops. They will not bulb. And when you plant them plant them about 2" apart, thinning to 4 " and using the thinnings for salads or something

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Only a little space required,which I have in abundance. Worth a try anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I saw this, I recalled that this is a regional item, and only the "pure" comes from one local place. Something about the type of soil, climate etc. So looked it up and yep.
http://www.vidaliaonion.org/about_us/growing_region

So perhaps, even if you have the "babies" the product may be not "pure".
I read your link and was surprised that it is against the law to sell Videlia onions anywhere else but Georgia. They are all over Texas. I have grown them but prefer a different variety of sweet onion. As you said maybe they aren't authentic Videlia Videlia's. What I don't understand is how a short day onion got to Canada in the first place

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
From a lady who grew vidalia them last year, the bulbs were the size of baseballs and thrived. She very much liked them. Zone 5.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
http://garden.org/articles/articles.php?q=show&id=3802

Onion varieties are divided into long day and short day. What determines the difference between the two is the parallel of latitude. Short day onions grow below the 35th parallel and long day above it. Hardiness zones have absolutely nothing to do with either, hours of daylight does. The latitude where you are is at the 43rd latitude. Vidalia Georgia is 32. I don't know what variety you have but it isn't a short day variety if it has bulbs bigger than a ping pong ball at harvest.

Ask a Question