2019 Equinox March 20

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I hate seeing the winter go because the workload is about to increase for the spring growing season. Toward that end, since I have a roughly 2 months until what I consider the official opening to the summer growing season on March 20, I am preplanning disease control.

On this years hit parade is leaf spot. It seems minor on the lawn grass, but when the lawn grass surrounds the garden, or when weeds infected by the different types of spot get going in the garden, my defensive workload increases. I thought to myself, self - hit it early and hit it hard this year, and lets get those plants all the way over to the cooling months without disease! I am guilty of thinking about that every year of course, but while digging and composting and planting and repairing and so forth, I hope to start a broader defensive program, I mean start earlier for prevention and run longer also for next years effort for prevention of the varieties of fungal attendees that come to my lawn and garden party.

I know there will be a potential for fly by eggings from army worm moths, and some opportunistic fungi will appear in the food void I mistakenly left some where, but I am pretty sure I am going to start with ground cornmeal and go from there.

Have you laid in your stores of biochemical munitions aimed at pests yet or will it be a wait and see?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We're waiting to leave the European Union so we can go back to using home made pesticides again.

Currently we can't use soapy water to kill aphids, beer to kill slugs or epsom salts to kill weeds as it's illegal :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We're waiting to leave the European Union so we can go back to using home made pesticides again.

Currently we can't use soapy water to kill aphids, beer to kill slugs or epsom salts to kill weeds as it's illegal :eek:
Oh I do wonder why! I guess that is looked upon as the type of efficiency that provides jobs and thus taxes if I recall the green models correctly.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
EU is the last thing to be efficient. My friend was a secretary in the EU and she said it took ages for a letter to go around all the member countries and France is famous for its red tape! Any way, the government is staffed by inepts who are there because they all go to Oxbridge and Eton. Now we're stuffed!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if you agree. EU is Germany's way of initiating a federal state and Germany doesn't want us to leave as we are the 2nd largest contributor to EU budget. France is broke, Italy is broke and Greece is broke. We're also broke, but Juncker, the EU commissioner, said we are the model pupil (ie. we pay and on time).. Merkel has succeeded where Hitler failed miserably!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wonder if you agree. EU is Germany's way of initiating a federal state and Germany doesn't want us to leave as we are the 2nd largest contributor to EU budget. France is broke, Italy is broke and Greece is broke. We're also broke, but Juncker, the EU commissioner, said we are the model pupil (ie. we pay and on time).. Merkel has succeeded where Hitler failed miserably!
It is just who owns what. They are doing the best they know how to do to make a living with what they think they own and brexit is a shock because they are finding out that dispite ww2 they do not own the country like they thought. People are not that complex and they are all full of assumptions.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I hate seeing the winter go because the workload is about to increase for the spring growing season. Toward that end, since I have a roughly 2 months until what I consider the official opening to the summer growing season on March 20, I am preplanning disease control.

On this years hit parade is leaf spot. It seems minor on the lawn grass, but when the lawn grass surrounds the garden, or when weeds infected by the different types of spot get going in the garden, my defensive workload increases. I thought to myself, self - hit it early and hit it hard this year, and lets get those plants all the way over to the cooling months without disease! I am guilty of thinking about that every year of course, but while digging and composting and planting and repairing and so forth, I hope to start a broader defensive program, I mean start earlier for prevention and run longer also for next years effort for prevention of the varieties of fungal attendees that come to my lawn and garden party.

I know there will be a potential for fly by eggings from army worm moths, and some opportunistic fungi will appear in the food void I mistakenly left some where, but I am pretty sure I am going to start with ground cornmeal and go from there.

Have you laid in your stores of biochemical munitions aimed at pests yet or will it be a wait and see?

I bought a cherry tree, but every year, some bugs kissed the fruit's bases and they all came with a cross and I didn't really want to eat them. Now, I have heard that one can use a sticky band to stop the critters going up. My best defence is giving the tree away to my friend and I have now bought a replacement which says it has this built in defence. Still, I would try to use these sticky bands if I can get hold of them.

Ask a Question