JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Today, I seeded my newest section of native garden and we're expected to see our first big snowfall of the year over the next two days. Some sources are saying we may see as much as 9 inches, followed by temperatures below 0°F next week. It's safe to say the garden season is long gone now. With that being said, I thought I'd share some of my favorite plant photos I've taken in my native garden throughout 2016. I can hardly wait for next year.

Wild Columbine. A Spring-blooming plant that attracts hummingbirds and bees.
IMG_7622 copy2.jpg

Wild Strawberry. A Spring-blooming plant that also bears edible fruit. Strawberries are fast spreading. This plant helps fill in all the gaps of my native garden.
IMG_7684 copy1.jpg

Penstemon. A bee magnet in June when few other natives are blooming.
IMG_9301 copy.jpg

Blue Flag Iris. Prefers wetlands but grows in average soil, too. Blooms in late May.
IMG_9416 copy.jpg

Blue-eyed Grass blooms in late May, June, July, and rarely in August or September. Small but showy plant. The blooms are only about an inch wide. Blue-eyed Grass is in the Iris family.
IMG_0321 copy.jpg

Black-eyed Susan. Most commonly used native plant along with Purple Coneflower. Blooms all summer long. Attracts bees and butterflies.
IMG_9562 copy3.jpg

Wild Bergamot. Bumble Bees love this Summer-blooming plant.
IMG_0427 copy2.jpg

Nodding Onion. Gets a ball of white-pink flowers that last only a couple weeks.
IMG_1177 copy.jpg

Bottle Gentian. Blooms in late summer or early autumn. Flowers go from green to blue to purple to yellow. They never open. Bumble Bees are just about the only insect strong enough to pry open the petals to get to the nectar.
IMG_1984 copy.jpg

Purple Prairie Clover. Small bees and flies like the nectar that this plant produces.
IMG_1169 copy2.jpg

Meadow Blazing Star. The ultimate Monarch magnet. If you want Monarch Butterflies, you need Meadow Blazing Star. It blooms all summer. No other Liatris attracts them the way this one does.
IMG_2192 copy.jpg

Blanket Flower. One of my favorite flowers. Bees and Butterflies love it. It'll bloom from June though October if deadheaded.
IMG_2193 copy.jpg

New England Aster. Popular with Monarchs as they migrate in Autumn. One of the latest-blooming native plants. Flowers are naturally purple or pink.
IMG_2450 copy.jpg

Smooth Oxeye. Summer blooming plant that attracts all sorts of insects. I consider it more appealing than Black-eyed Susans.
IMG_2052 copy2.jpg

Gray-headed Coneflower. A taller native plant that attracts bees and butterflies in mid-late Summer.
IMG_0359 copy.jpg

Orange Milkweed. My favorite native plant. Necessary for Monarch's survival. Caterpillars eat them for a few weeks before they form a chrysalis and turn into butterflies. Bright orange stands out, even on cloudy days.
IMG_9813 copy.jpg

Swamp Milkweed. Also necessary for Monarch's survival. Grows a little taller than Orange Milkweed. Attracts Swallowtail butterflies.
IMG_0821 copy2.jpg

And a few other photos of the original garden section in full bloom...
IMG_0221 copy.jpg

IMG_0419 copy.jpg

IMG_0490 copy1.jpg

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just lovely, JB! (y)

Sounds like we've got the same snow storm coming in...up to 10" Sunday then very very cold.

Yep, not looking forward to the snow or the cold. It's already pretty darn cold with wind chills. Next week will be awful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What beautiful flowers! Looking at those certainly makes a cold, rainy day feel warmer :) I don't envy you re the upcoming snowfall though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Terrific pictures JB.... as usual.
You showed 'Black-eyed Susan'. I have thought it is a nickname for a yellow Thunbergia vine with a dark spot in the middle. Or are there others flowers like you have showed also called by that? You have a really vast area to garden compared to just a few square metres of my gardening space. Amazing.

962_n.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Terrific pictures JB.... as usual.
You showed 'Black-eyed Susan'. I have thought it is a nickname for a yellow Thunbergia vine with a dark spot in the middle. Or are there others flowers like you have showed also called by that?

Yes, plants in the Rudbeckia family are called Black-eyed Susans. The Black-eyed Susan vine isn't related to them

Ask a Question