Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

20 August 2021 Tomatoes​

Posted on August 20, 2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/August 2021/20 August 2021 Tomatoes/HTML/ 20 August 2021 Tomatoes
Eighty pounds of tomatoes were picked today. These will be processed into about 40 liters of juice, takes about 2 pounds of tomatoes for one liter of pressure canned juice.
dsc_0020_thm.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
It is drinkable. It can be thickend by boiling to make sauce, I have to strain and pressure can for storage. It is pure tomato and water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know if this would be useful to you...
I run my tomatoes through a Kitchenaide "Fruit & Vegetable Strainer" which removes seeds & skins.
The strained product sits in a bucket overnight. The pulp separates into water(bottom) & tomato pulp. The next morning I use a 3/8" tubing to siphon off the water from the bottom. We use the tomato water to make soups etc. & the pulp reduces very quickly to sauce.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I don't know if this would be useful to you...
I run my tomatoes through a Kitchenaide "Fruit & Vegetable Strainer" which removes seeds & skins.
The strained product sits in a bucket overnight. The pulp separates into water(bottom) & tomato pulp. The next morning I use a 3/8" tubing to siphon off the water from the bottom. We use the tomato water to make soups etc. & the pulp reduces very quickly to sauce.
Too complicated. My process utilizes most of the product, the residue discharge is minimal. But anything is an improvement over the commercial preparation of our food. Food or product preservation is very much a problem. My slurry/juice method was developed over time with a fare amount of experimenting. My Champion Juicer was given to me nd I find it a nice addition to the process.

Ask a Question