2 Small 24"x24" heated Green House.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built 2 small green houses with pressure treated 2x4 lumber insulated with 1½" thick Styrofoam boards. A thermostat and a 60 incandescent light bulb keeps it warm inside every night. It was 34°f this morning and 60°f inside the green house. I think 60° is good all night, it gets very warm inside 100°f when the sun comes up. I have carrots planted in 1 green house and potatoes planted in the other green house. It was -2°f about 2 weeks ago, potatoes plants look good, carrot plants ate small. I have a piece of glass from a house window on both green houses. So far so good.

I sprinkled 250 onion seeds under an upside down fish aquarium. I hope to have 250 onion plants to transplant March. Onion seeds always seem to have poor germination.

G1.JPG
G2.JPG
G3.JPG
G4.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice job. You might want to buy a whole box of bulbs because it is getting harder and harder to find regular light bulbs. You didn't show the thermostat. Where is it located?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice job. You might want to buy a whole box of bulbs because it is getting harder and harder to find regular light bulbs. You didn't show the thermostat. Where is it located?
d c

I knew the day would come when incandescent light bulbs will be collector items so I saved about 100 bulbs. I did the math last week it costs me 2 cents a day to use a 60 watt light bulb, it makes a good reasonable price heater. LOL.

I have a bi-metal thermostat soldered to 1 of the light socket wires and the electrical cord. I am a pack rat I save everything. I think the electric cord came from an old junk TV.

Click the link to see the thermostat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question