19 September 2015 Shelling Indian Corn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/September 2015/19 September 2015 Shelling Indian Corn/HTML/ 19 September 2015 Shelling Indian Corn
The Indian Corn was dry enough to remove the kernels from the cobs, commonly called shelling. The corn was put through a hand cranked shelling device which removes the kernels. The kernel were then winnowed to remove the chaff. The kernels will be left to dry more in the shed prior to storge.Twelve pounds of kernels were obtained, which will be nixtamalized and made into tortillas and cereal.
dsc_748419%20september%202015%20shelling%20indian%20corn_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow..I love the color and they look so pretty! Seriously though, I never thought that we can eat Indian corn. I bought them at Halloween time for decoration only! What a fool I am :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Durgan, I always find your threads so inspiring. I always marvel at all of the produce you are able to create and what you do with your bounty afterward!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Durgan, I always find your threads so inspiring. I always marvel at all of the produce you are able to create and what you do with your bounty afterward!

I am getting more efficient each year. Also all the produce preserved will be consumed by about June next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I find your threads inspiring too:) Visiting them always makes me want to grow more vegetables and eat more healthy.
This corn looks a bit like cooked buckwheat:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I find your threads inspiring too:) Visiting them always makes me want to grow more vegetables and eat more healthy.
This corn looks a bit like cooked buckwheat:D

I am nixtamalizing some fo the Indian corn now to make cereal.

My original motivation was to get more healthy food to eat, particularity after the short growing season ends in my Zone 5. This generally means practicable, relatively easy produce preserving methods.

With intense, careful gardening in a small well tended space, one can grow most of the vegetables needed for the year. Carefully buying local produce when in season supplies what I don't grow.

Ask a Question