Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
19 February 2018 Sourdough Bread
Posted on February 19, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/February 2018/19 February 2018 Sourdough Bread/HTML/ 19 February 2018 Sourdough Bread
My first strong attempt to make sourdough bread using information from the various sites on the internet. The bread is essentially my own ground whole wheat flour, starter using wild yeast from the air, bottled water, and a bit of non-iodized salt. A cup of gluten was added when making the final dough for no apparent reason.

Starter:
Day 1. Whole wheat flour 120 grams and water 120 grams put in bowl mix and set at room temperature for 24 hours.
Next day 2. Repeated again.
Day 3. Repeated.
Day 4. Repeated.
Day 5. Repeated.
Day 6. Remove two cups about 500 grams to make dough. Feed the starter again for the next batch. To slow the action store in the refrigerator.

Dough:
Two cups of starter about 500 grams, tablespoon of salt, 500 grams of water. Mix.
Add enough flour to make dough. I added about 240 grams of gluten since I had it, but not necessary.
Cover ball of dough and allow to set until about double in size. This can take up to 12 hours.
Shape into two batches and place in buttered cooking pans. Allow to rise to fill pans and even overflow a bit. This can take up to 12 hours.
Cooking:
Set oven to 400 F, time for one hour and bake.
Remove from oven, cool and enjoy.
19%20february%202018%20sourdough%20026_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I find the addition of gluten fascinating. Or did you use all whole wheat flour? If all whole wheat, then it would be the right thing to do.

I have some whole wheat starter on the go too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I find the addition of gluten fascinating. Or did you use all whole wheat flour? If all whole wheat, then it would be the right thing to do.

I have some whole wheat starter on the go too.

The gluten one cup of about six of whole wheat was added when making the dough. So all was whole wheat to that point. I think it enhances the bread. I was playing around with seitan but found it undesirable, so have a few pounds of gluten available. It was from the bulk food store.

I image the wild yeast came from the wheat that I ground to make the flour. I am more than pleased with the effort.

I half played with sourdough once before and eventually quit in disgust. This batch I will keep going, since at first look appears worth the effort.

I grind my whole wheat flour using a Wondermill. I have no issues with digesting wheat. I buy gluten and have a desire to utilize it and by putting it in this first batch, usage seems practical. It is also high protein.

To contain the amount of starter, some can be discarded to keep the desired amount to satisfy your baking requirements. Fermentation can be controlled somewhat by storing in the refrigerator and feeding once a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yes, all breads that have high percentages of whole wheat need the added gluten to help it create elasticity. I've had my starter now for a few months and have had hit and miss issues with getting a good sourdough loaf. I'll give your recipe a go.
Thanks for sharing. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I did a study on the commercial whole wheat flour. It is a hodge podge of undecipherable babble. I then decided to grind my own. I use Red Fife wheat and bought a bushel at a premium , but love it.

The added gluten was an inspiration. I am most happy with the addition.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
That is a large amount of gluten. Most of my whole wbeat bread recipes call for about 1/4 cup or 125g. I'll have a go in a couple of days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I put the 500 grams about two cups of starter in a bowl . Add about 500 grams of bottled water, tablespoon of salt, about 300 grams of gluten. Mix well. It is sort of runny.

Then add whole wheat flower to complete the dough. Knead a bit.

Needless to say, I don't measure too accurately, since I can adjust by adding the whole wheat flour.

I see no evidence of the gluten in the cooked loaf, but the texture is not a bit crumbly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Another batch of Sourdough Bread. Attempting to get more rising in the pans.
http://durgan.org/2018/February 2018/21 February 2018 Sourdough Bread/HTML/21 February 2018 Sourdough Bread.

Still experimenting with making sourdough bread. Desire more rising in the pans. The loaves weigh about 500 grams each and are good quality. Probably a little heavy but still good flavor.
21%20february%202018%20bread%20039_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe you left it to rise too long - it looks like it may have collapsed from over-proving in the 9th photo in the album. If you want to do a long rise then perhaps put the dough in the fridge, that should stop it rising too quickly. Glad to hear it was tasty though (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Maybe you left it to rise too long - it looks like it may have collapsed from over-proving in the 9th photo in the album. If you want to do a long rise then perhaps put the dough in the fridge, that should stop it rising too quickly. Glad to hear it was tasty though (y)

The loaves didn't collapse. I suspect my yeast is not fully vigorous. It would be perfect if it got just above the pan when rising. It is most pleasant to eat.

Ask a Question