18 September 2015 Pumpkin Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/September 2015/18 September 2015 Pumpkin Juice/HTML/index.htm 18 September 2015 Pumpkin Juice
One 20 pound pumpkin was purchased locally,many pumpkins are grown in the area,and processed into 18 liters of juice. Each liter contains one pound of pumpkin.Process was to remove seeds, which were processed separately into a paste, cut into small pieces, cover with water, and cooked until soft about 20 minutes, then blend into a homogeneous slurry. The slurry was put through a food mill 2mm mesh to strain. The strained juice was placed in liter jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes.There is very Little residue from the process, and straining is probably not necessary.
dsc_739718%20september%202015%20pumpkin%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I grew 5kg pumpkins and ended up giving much of the flesh away, because I couldn't use it quickly enough, so this year I've grown much smaller pumpkins.
I may try this with one of them, and, if I like it, go back to the other pumpkins.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
http://www.durgan.org/2015/September 2015/18 September 2015 Pumpkin Juice/HTML/index.htm 18 September 2015 Pumpkin Juice
One 20 pound pumpkin was purchased locally,many pumpkins are grown in the area,and processed into 18 liters of juice. Each liter contains one pound of pumpkin.Process was to remove seeds, which were processed separately into a paste, cut into small pieces, cover with water, and cooked until soft about 20 minutes, then blend into a homogeneous slurry. The slurry was put through a food mill 2mm mesh to strain. The strained juice was placed in liter jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes.There is very Little residue from the process, and straining is probably not necessary.
dsc_739718%20september%202015%20pumpkin%20juice_std.jpg
Do you drink pumpkin juicy like fruit juice Durgen? I think of liquid pumpkin as soup.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I drink the juice. It can be made thick or thin depending upon the amount of water added. North Americans utilize the pumpkin usually as a pie filling or a head/face for Halloween. I understand in Australia the pumpkin is used more like a routine vegetable. I have never encountered the pumpkin as a vegetable served say like carrots or beans. Mind you squash of various kinds is a relatively common vegetable.

There are fields full of pumpkins and seldom eaten. I think most is sold to commercial interests to make canned pie filling. It is a shame since the fruit is most nutritional.

Ask a Question