Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
18 May 2019 Planting tomatoes
Posted on May 18, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2019/May 2019/18 May 2019 Planting tomatoes/HTML/18 May 2019 Planting tomatoes
Twenty one tomatoes were planted. They were greenhouse purchased and planted in separate pots to grow strong roots for about two weeks in my small greenhouse. Three of each type was planted, lemon boy, early girl, beef steak, bonny best, Ponderosa pink,ultra girl,and silican saucer.
Each was planted upright, after removing the very bottom leaves, and a small moat was dug around each plant for pail watering as required. They were tied to a small stake for support, and later will be supported by strings overhead tied to a rebar and fence post structure.Each plant was watered using a pail with rainwater delivered by wheelbarrow. Each plant has about 6 plus square feet to grow. I do not remove suckers unless crowding is apparent. Expectations is 200 to 500 pounds weather dependent. I use for fresh table and remainder is made into pressure canned juice. The growing season is about 60 days production limited by frost.
dsc_0389_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
31 August 2018 Tomato Juice (Pure Tomato Juice)
Posted on August 31, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/August 2018/31 August 2018 Tomato Juice/HTML/31 August 2018 Tomato Juice
Fifty six pounds of tomatoes were picked and processed into pure tomato juice meaning nothing was added. The tomatoes were cooked in their own juice. The tomatoes were quartered and cooked about 20 minutes, made into a slurry with the hand blender, strained through a 5 mm mesh on the food mill to remove seeds. The food mill output was put through a Champion Juicer to get maximum nutriments. Fourteen liter jars were obtained for Pressure Canning at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. Each liter jar has about 4 pounds of tomatoes. This is almost the end of the tomato season in my Zone 5.
tomatoes%20035_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
To which I would add (per litre),
1/2 tsp celery salt
good twist of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
dsp of Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce.
juice of 1/2 lemon.
Optional
1) Ice
2) 1/4 pint of vodka (only if the sun is over the yardarm)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
That is what is called Americanizing the simple product. My interest is as natural as possible. Commonly called INJUN cooking, all in one pot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
As the ice hints at, I'd be adding the other ingredients at the point of consumption.
With the vodka = Bloody Mary
Without = Virgin Mary

Your one-pot Injun cooking reminds me of the tale of the bloke showing off his new thermos flask to his workmates:
"Fantastic!" he says, "Keeps hot stuff hot & cold stuff cold!"
One colleague asks, "So what's in it today?"
"Chicken soup and a choc-ice!"

Ask a Question