16 May 2019 Planting carrot seeds (Board method)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
16 May 2019 Planting carrot seeds (Board method)
Posted on May 16, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2019/May 2019/16 May 2019 Planting carrot seeds/HTML/ 16 May 2019 Planting carrot seeds
Optimal soil temperature: 7-30°C (45-85°F) for carrot seed germination. Above they will not germinate and a hot Sun beating down can easily rise above that. The board method keeps a cool temperature and insures the carrot seed does not dry before germination. Also watering with a can pouring water on the board allows enough water to pass onto the seeds insuring they do not dry out. The board method can be used to advantage on other seeds to improve germination.
dsc_0276_std.jpg

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I’ve never heard of this, but could be super useful in Phoenix. I’m waiting until the fall to plant my carrots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I’ve never heard of this, but could be super useful in Phoenix. I’m waiting until the fall to plant my carrots.

Carrots can probably be started during the Summer using the board method. Leave the board in place until the carrots are reasonably small, but well established by using cross pieces to lift the board.The carrots can withstand heat after germination. Do not let the seeds dry out.

Ask a Question