16 August 2017 Garlic Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/August%202017/16%20August%202017%20Garlic%20Juice/HTML/ 16 August 2017 Garlic Juice
One kilogram of hard neck garlic was processed into about half a kilogram of juice. Process was to remove the cloves skins using a tortilla press. The skins lift off after being crushed. The crushed garlic was put through a Champion Juicer. The residue was dehydrated and will be used as a food garnish. The juice was placed in a sealed container and frozen to prevent oxidization. Apparently garlic juice doesn’t freeze solid and may be removed from the container in small pieces for use. Usage is experimental at this stage.
garlic%20juice%20031_std.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey Durgs :eek:

You know Vampires aren't real right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Now all I have to do is drink the stuff. It sure is hot at first try.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Crikey! What does it taste like? Your experiments are so intriguing..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Crikey! What does it taste like? Your experiments are so intriguing..

Taste is acceptable but heat and odor are the limiting factors. The general opinion is garlic has health benefits, being more effective if ingested raw and crushed. Heat applied is usually detrimental. I tried various methods to no avail, so juicing is my latest attempt. My Champion Juicer appears to be ideal for making the juice at first look.

I plan on mixing it with various juices to find one or more mixtures that is acceptable. Garlic has a burning after effect that inhibits use, also it tends to produce a body odor. Maybe these are limiting factors in it use in civilized society.

I have a large amount with which to experiment so will play with it for awhile. Health benefits may be nonsense but who knows?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Durgan I guess you can add other fruits, but will the various tastes combine agreeably? Don't forget when you ear garlic, you have the added benefit of ingesting fibre which is better for your health.. I personally would pickle them or add them to roasted dinner. The aroma is just wonderful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I am aware, it is particularly the sulphur compounds in alliums which are healthy, as it is thought that they help to cleanse the blood, thus reducing blood pressure, stroke risk, etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
This is a very pleasant garnish. Even the grandchildren liked some on baked potatoes. It would probably be nice on a green salad.

garlic%20juice%20036_std.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, the aroma is just incredible .. roasted chicken, lamb and what not! Going to have fish cake today and I can see my son's nose turning up!:eek::D

Ask a Question