13 June 2017 Garlic Scapes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/June%202017/13%20June%202017%20Garlic%20Scapes/HTML/ 13 June 2017 Garlic Scapes
Garlic scapes are forming on the hard neck garlic. They are the curly snake like tentacles on which the seed called bulbils form. The scapes may be cut off and eaten. There is a view that removing the scapes makes the garlic bulb larger, but I have seen no evidence of this.

Harvest is usually the first week of July in my Zone 5, but I no longer do this. The scapes are left on and the garlic is allowed to grow until the bulbs start to break the covering, then it is harvested. I have found the bulbs get larger if the scapes are not removed and bursting of the bulb covering in no way reduces the storage life. Seeds (bulbils) are harvested when they form at the end of the scapes. Usually one scape produces numerous (100) seeds.
dsc_7606_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Very strong appearing. Do you have any pictures of the bulbs and also the cloves? I never saw such strong looking plants. The appears to be two types. Your soil also looks wonderful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Very strong appearing. Do you have any pictures of the bulbs and also the cloves? I never saw such strong looking plants. The appears to be two types. Your soil also looks wonderful.
Thanks.
Yeah i haven't grown them over winter before.
Pretty excited to see how they turn out.
The ones at the back are elephant garlic.
Front ones normal garlic.
Both hardneck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I am familiar with elephant garlic. I assume this is the largest bunch. I am interested in the large few spaced widely. Are they the hard neck?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I am familiar with elephant garlic. I assume this is the largest bunch. I am interested in the large few spaced widely. Are they the hard neck?
The widely spaced ones are hardneck.
Just normal garlic i bought at the local market.
But the size of the scapes did surprise me.

Ask a Question