Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
13 July 2018 Ultra Boy Tomato
Posted on July 13, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/July 2018/13 July 2018 Ultra Boy Tomato/HTML/13 July 2018 Ultra Boy Tomato
The fist tomato of my season was picked. It was ultra boy and the tomato is perfect. Only one but a few others are changing color. The flavor after being subjected to hot house types is divine.
001_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's great getting your first tomato of the season, isn't it?
I was dead lucky with my timing this year; after a freezing cold March, when I sowed my seed in a heated propagator, and nurtured it into April, since when there has been nearly all sunshine, (in fact today has been the first proper rain since early April, apart from 1 hr mid-May) and my tomatoes have thriven.
So warm was my greenhouse border soil that I stocked it, (keeping enough replacements to cover any disaster) three weeks early.
I've been taking tomatoes for two weeks now, starting with, "Early Girl" and since joined by "Maskotka", and, yesterday, by "Akron."
Still to come are cherry tomato, "Sugar Gloss" and some kind of beefsteak tomato which was supposed to be "Amish Paste!!!"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
It's great getting your first tomato of the season, isn't it?
I was dead lucky with my timing this year; after a freezing cold March, when I sowed my seed in a heated propagator, and nurtured it into April, since when there has been nearly all sunshine, (in fact today has been the first proper rain since early April, apart from 1 hr mid-May) and my tomatoes have thriven.
So warm was my greenhouse border soil that I stocked it, (keeping enough replacements to cover any disaster) three weeks early.
I've been taking tomatoes for two weeks now, starting with, "Early Girl" and since joined by "Maskotka", and, yesterday, by "Akron."
Still to come are cherry tomato, "Sugar Gloss" and some kind of beefsteak tomato which was supposed to be "Amish Paste!!!"
PICTURES

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My feeding regime?
A handful each of fbb and woodash per plant, prior to planting (2-3 weeks), followed by Epsom salts when flowers open, then, when the first truss sets fruit, comfrey and seaweed extract once a week.
This had a broad spectrum of nutrients and minerals, which also give flavour.
Watering is a gravity-fed dripper system, which I try to get to deliver 1pt UK (20 oz/568ml) per plant per day, for growth, dropping by 1/4th during fruiting phase.
Took two trays today, approx. 11lb/5kg
It's unusually early. In an average summer, I'd expect to start picking next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My feeding regime?
A handful each of fbb and woodash per plant, prior to planting (2-3 weeks), followed by Epsom salts when flowers open, then, when the first truss sets fruit, comfrey and seaweed extract once a week.
Watering is a gravity-fed dripper system, which I try to get to deliver 1pt UK (20 oz/568ml) per plant per day, for growth, dropping by 1/4th during fruiting phase.
It's unusually early. In an average summer, I'd expect to start picking next week.
What would an American understand as FBB fertilizer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My feeding regime?
Could you put a picture of your drip feeding system up please ?
Nice toms :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Could you put a picture of your drip feeding system up please ?
Nice toms :)
You can see some of the system on the 5th pic of my previous post.
It's easier to describe, atm, than photograph.

A water-butt, raised about 2 feet off the ground, the tap connected to a timer which opens and closes a valve as set, then connected to 1/2" pipe, which with various tees and elbows, enters the greenhouse via an 18mm hole drilled in the base, and goes around the middle of the greenhouse border in a rectangular loop.
Holes are then punched in the pipe at regular intervals, and adjustable drippers are fitted in the punched holes.
Further lengths of pipe can be fitted to the loop if required, using a tee at either end.

NOTE: There are two types of timer valves, those which only need the pressure of gravity, and those which require higher pressure and require a pump or domestic supply.
Gravity ones will work in either circumstance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the info thinking about setting up some kinda watering system for next year

Ask a Question