10 easy plants for kids to grow

Reaction score
I found this article listing 10 easy plants for kids to grow :) I thought it was great, because I really want to start my niece into gardening, so I'm probably going to work on this project with her:

Sunflowers

2268Sunflower-Posters.jpg

California Poppies

california-poppy.jpg

I tried growing sunflowers as a kid, as it's actually very easy :) My dad helped me of course.

http://blessmyweeds.com/top-10-easy-plants-for-kids-to-grow/2/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think those plants are perfect not only for children, but also for adults who don't have a green thumb;) I'd love to grow California Poppies, they look very pretty:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are fantastic plants for the kids to start a garden, and I can swear on the sunflowers and poppy flowers. Very little care going in to these, except some water! I planted sunflowers every year to get the birds to come into the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
In general I am a pretty big kid haha, but I have 3 from that list in my garden... surprise surprise they are doing the best. My pumpkin plant is getting large though I don't know if it will yield any pumpkins this year due to late planting.

Reaction score
Aww, I still like to grow things like sunflowers, you are never to old to grow sunflowers and pumpkin plants ;):LOL::love: I'm sure they are gorgeous. I hope you can share a picture of them with us soon, I'd love to see them. My dad used to grow those as well, same with zuccini and tomatoes. Loved to play around his pumpkins, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I know, sunflower likes cold climate although it grows here. The flowers are small because this is a tropical country. But in Baguio City, a place in the north where it is cold, sunflowers there are pretty big. But what I want to know is the sunflower seeds. Are they really seeds of the sunflower plant? Anyone?

Reaction score
Those are fantastic plants for the kids to start a garden, and I can swear on the sunflowers and poppy flowers. Very little care going in to these, except some water! I planted sunflowers every year to get the birds to come into the yard.

That is very nice :) So those two are indeed kid proof, heh? That is good to know, I was thinking of goring those as well with my niece.

I think those plants are perfect not only for children, but also for adults who don't have a green thumb;) I'd love to grow California Poppies, they look very pretty:love:

If you ever try growing those let us know :) I'd love to see pictures of that! Would you grow them in pots?

Reaction score
From what I know, sunflower likes cold climate although it grows here. The flowers are small because this is a tropical country. But in Baguio City, a place in the north where it is cold, sunflowers there are pretty big. But what I want to know is the sunflower seeds. Are they really seeds of the sunflower plant? Anyone?

Amazingly enough, yes: http://www.wikihow.com/Harvest-Sunflower-Seeds They also seem to propagate very easily, we had a field full of sunflowers growing very close to my house. There were thousands of tall sunflowers there (warm dry country), no sure what kind of sunflower was it. It was easy to transplant them as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's a great list. I used to grow a lot of pansies when I was a kid because you were almost always guaranteed success. Now in school the kids are growing pumpkin seeds. My son brought home his pumpkin plant a few weeks ago and it is growing like crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That is very nice :) So those two are indeed kid proof, heh? That is good to know, I was thinking of goring those as well with my niece.

If you ever try growing those let us know :) I'd love to see pictures of that! Would you grow them in pots?
I think so. I'd love to keep them in my living room:D They would look lovely here. If I ever find California Poppy seeds, I'll buy them without any hesitation.

Reaction score
I might do the same ;) There are many different plants I'd love to keep in my living room, but I think nothing brings more color and life than some beautiful flowers :love:

Reaction score
That's a great list. I used to grow a lot of pansies when I was a kid because you were almost always guaranteed success. Now in school the kids are growing pumpkin seeds. My son brought home his pumpkin plant a few weeks ago and it is growing like crazy.

Awesome! I think nothing can motivate more the love and interest for gardening in a kid that successfully growing something on his or her own :) I'm glad they are creating that kind of projects with kids. Back when I was little we did that with bans and it was sooo boring, lol. We used a small glass jar, water an cotton.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I might do the same ;) There are many different plants I'd love to keep in my living room, but I think nothing brings more color and life than some beautiful flowers :love:
This is so true! Colorful flowers can make any room look pretty. My boyfriend feels the same way, so he often buys me roses and tulips. Thanks to him, our apartment is beautiful:)

Reaction score
Is there a tulip color that you prefer? I personally love tulips :) I love the pink, red and orange ones :love: They are so beautiful and versatile! They can add a nice pop of color to any place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Is there a tulip color that you prefer? I personally love tulips :) I love the pink, red and orange ones :love: They are so beautiful and versatile! They can add a nice pop of color to any place.
Yes! I love white tulips:D They look very clean and delicate, I adore them. Pink ones are very pretty too.
I don't like red tulips. They're everywhere and I got bored with them.

Ask a Question