1 September 20 Sweet Potato (Harvest)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/1%20September%2020%20Sweet%20Potato/HTML/ 1 September 20 Sweet Potato
Ten sweet potato plants were harvested. The yield was 1.6 pounds per plant or total of 16 pounds. This is below expectations, which is about six pounds. The poor yield is probably due to a cool wet growing season. Each center or slip was marked with a long stake to facilitate digging. Prior to digging all the vegetation was removed. The vegetation is most prolific. The potatoes were placed in the Sun to dry thoroughly before storing in the root cellar.
sweet%20potatoes%20026_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would have thought that an excellent harvest for your latitude; they are grown undercover in the UK and even then marginal, so I don't bother.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Beautiful sweet potatoes are commercially grown in my area. You are right the climate is on the cusp. But we usually have a beautiful Summer. This year was worse than marginal. I have found they keep better in the root cellar than our normal potato. There are always quality stands in the Supermarket.

Ask a Question