1 of my 5 Avocado trees have a weird growth on them

Reaction score
Country
United States
See images attached. I have several Avocado trees growing at various stages. This is the only one getting this growth. Each is in their own separate container. This specific container had a earwig problem, but I had resolved it. Shortly after, these things started forming on the tree. No idea what it is. If I scrape them off, they contain fluid inside, almost sticky water and the tree's surface seems somewhat raw. The really thick gooey stuff at the bottom of the base is petroleum jelly to combat the earwigs. Everything else is emanating from the growths. It has been stuck at this height since late June and these sprouted up about a week ago.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 368
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 370
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 363
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
See images attached. I have several Avocado trees growing at various stages. This is the only one getting this growth. Each is in their own separate container. This specific container had a earwig problem, but I had resolved it. Shortly after, these things started forming on the tree. No idea what it is. If I scrape them off, they contain fluid inside, almost sticky water and the tree's surface seems somewhat raw. The really thick gooey stuff at the bottom of the base is petroleum jelly to combat the earwigs. Everything else is emanating from the growths. It has been stuck at this height since late June and these sprouted up about a week ago.

Any thoughts?
More detailed and close up pictures would help but it looks like scale insects to me from what I can see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What details do you need?
Here's a closer image.
That is scale. spray with Neem Oil every 6 days for 3 weeks. The brown hard objects will stay on the plant for some time but will be dead. You may as well spray all of the other plants as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The growth stopped growing once I put some Neem Oil on there, but the tree never grew past ~12 inches after that. I ended up pulling it and cleaning out the soil bed. Will replant new trees already sprouting in the spring.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Oo it seems that the neem oil might have stopped the infection though the infection might have damaged the stems such that less nutrients pass along.

That is so cool! I am attempting to grow an avocado tree too, they are around 3 months old already.

Hoping for some of your valuable advice for our little avocado plantlet :D

yb61H4u.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is so cool! I am attempting to grow an avocado tree too, they are around 3 months old already.

Hoping for some of your valuable advice for our little avocado plantlet :D

I can help where I can. What would you like to know?

So far, I had to move all my trees inside. I have 5 growing right now. 2 are sitting at about 4-5 feet. 1 is sitting at around 2 feet. And two of them are sitting at about 8 inches.

Right now, they are all inside because it freezes during the winter nights here. They don't like it at all and I have them underneath grow lights. They lost a lot of leaves because I'm having a hard time keeping the soil proper and they seem very stressed right now. It is really easy to over water indoors. Soon as the spring hits, I'll put them back outside where they get much better sunlight and fresh air.

RoseScience

"Windsong" Dr.. Griffith Buck,
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9 with heavy humidity
Country
United States
I have a papaya tree over 10' tall. It is fed and watered well. I think not enough shade. My neighbor has papayas which fruit. Mine has no fruit after 3 years. Can AND should I move it?

Ask a Question