1 June 2016 Rabbit Protection

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/June%202016/1%20June%202016%20Rabbit%20Protection/HTML/ 1 June 2016 Rabbit Protection
Periodically is necessary to protect small individual seedlings like, Brussels sprout and Romaine lettuce from marauding rabbits. Chicken wire is relatively low cost and readily available in 100 foot rolls two feet wide. It is made into 2 foot high cylinders and placed around the plant. The cage is generally self supporting, but is easily strengthened with the addition of a small stake if deemed necessary. The wire is cut into the appropriate length, three times the diameter required. The open ends are joined with wire pipe cleaners from a kraft store. The simple cylinder is placed around the target plant. For storage at the end of the season the wire pieces may be rolled into a compact cylinder. I could find nothing suitable commercially.
dsc_97011%20june%202016%20rabbit%20protection_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chicken wire is the best. I had to use it around my garden to keep my dog out of there as well, since he likes to dig in my garden only and nowhere else in the yard. It's relatively affordable and there really isn't much else that's better. I've seen people use the "deer mesh" but that is soft and rabbits will be rabbits and will eat through that material in no time at all. Chain link fences work well too if you're able to find some that someone has thrown out, but you still have to worry about the wide openings for other pests.

Ask a Question