Window Garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!

I'm new to the thread but am so excited to have found it! I have tons of gardening questions but I'll start with the one that is most important to my family.

I've been wanting to make a window garden for quite a while now. My windows expand anywhere from 5 feet (facing south) to about 2.5 feet (facing north). The largest window is the one I'd like to start with but I have a few reserves.

I would only be able to put brackets on either side of the of each window, with the shelves resting on top of each. I am worried about the the weight of potted plants creating a significant bow in the wood; or if I used a glass shelf, I'm worried about it breaking.

I'd like to grow plants that will be medium size; from leafy greens to herbs and possibly some flowers. I'm nervous about fruit fries, my apartment complex is prone to them. Is there anything I can do to prevent these? Are there some types of herbs and greens that do better indoors than out?

Also, will having a plant so close to the window during wintertime negatively affect it?

I know this is a lot of questions but thank you and I look forward to learning a lot from this forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Where are you located? Temps and sunlight vary. Fruit flies are common in the south and easy to control. They lay their eggs in the soil, then emerge and fly around. Use Spinosad as a soil drench and spray and that will take care of them. As for the window box goes I am clueless. Others on this forum are much more knowledgeable about such things

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I am definitely in the south, more specifically, zone 7a.

Would a spray for them be organic? I guess I should have mentioned I am trying to go organic.

This is not meant to be a window box, per say. The plants will be on the inside portion of the window. I'm wanting to put three shelves across the window and put potted plants on the shelves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I am definitely in the south, more specifically, zone 7a.

Would a spray for them be organic? I guess I should have mentioned I am trying to go organic.

This is not meant to be a window box, per say. The plants will be on the inside portion of the window. I'm wanting to put three shelves across the window and put potted plants on the shelves.
Spinosad is totally organic. It is made from a soil bacteria and is harmless to people and pets. I have basically the same thing that you want to do except mine are sliding glass doors instead of windows. I have a 1 x 8 pine board spanning 8 feet and in the winter that is where I grow all of my seedlings for the coming spring garden and it works fine. It faces south. If I were to do it over I would go with 1' brackets and a 1 x 12. Keep you spacing at least 2 feet from the top of the window and at least 2 feet between the shelves. Mine are 3' and could be closer together but not less than 2 feet

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck,

Thank you, that is exactly the information I was looking for. Spanning at 8 feet with a one inch thickness, have you found that the boards hold up well to the weight of the plants? Also did you use anchors for your shelving brackets, or drill into the studs? I just want to be sure everything turns out alright.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck,

Thank you, that is exactly the information I was looking for. Spanning at 8 feet with a one inch thickness, have you found that the boards hold up well to the weight of the plants? Also did you use anchors for your shelving brackets, or drill into the studs? I just want to be sure everything turns out alright.
I grow my seedlings in flats full of dirt and each on weighs about 10 lbs so I have 30 or 40 lbs on each shelf. So far they haven't bowed but if they do I will just turn them over. I just screwed 2 1/2" drywall screws into the studs that framed in the sliding door to affix the metal brackets

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting, I haven't thought of that sort of planting approach, that's a great idea. Again, I really appreciate all the advice; you have been very informative and helpful. I can't wait to get started on mine!!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi!

I'm new to the thread but am so excited to have found it! I have tons of gardening questions but I'll start with the one that is most important to my family.

I've been wanting to make a window garden for quite a while now. My windows expand anywhere from 5 feet (facing south) to about 2.5 feet (facing north). The largest window is the one I'd like to start with but I have a few reserves.

I would only be able to put brackets on either side of the of each window, with the shelves resting on top of each. I am worried about the the weight of potted plants creating a significant bow in the wood; or if I used a glass shelf, I'm worried about it breaking.

I'd like to grow plants that will be medium size; from leafy greens to herbs and possibly some flowers. I'm nervous about fruit fries, my apartment complex is prone to them. Is there anything I can do to prevent these? Are there some types of herbs and greens that do better indoors than out?

Also, will having a plant so close to the window during wintertime negatively affect it?

I know this is a lot of questions but thank you and I look forward to learning a lot from this forum!
I have only been able to grow herbs on my window sill and I am still learning how to do this! Basil, parsley and even artichokes have grown nicely for me but Indoor leafy greens can't seem to get that right. If you find a way let me know please!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not had much luck with a window growing. All other outside plans seem to do just fine, I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have done the same thing with my indoor plans as I do with my outside ones. I have added everything that I do in my garden and still, my garden does better than my plans that I have on the inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I grow all my dearest miniature roses in a window garden. They're really healthy and pretty, so I'm sure they feel great there. If you want a flowering, beautiful plant, LovelyLamp, you should get a miniature rose too:)
As for herbs, I believe they could grow anywhere, they don't need anything special.

Rub

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
You should start with planting onions. Well, I do. They are easily growing up. You can eat green onions. I use them to put in some food and it becomes deicious!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thats a good idea and we do use them for almost every dish that I make. It would be nice to see them grow and be able to use them

Ask a Question