Will this cucumber make an okay pickle?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was wondering if this Boston Pickling Cucumber is good enough to be made into a pickle. It's a bit on the large side, as it is almost 6 inches long. It is also starting to turn a bit yellow. Any advice would be much appreciated.
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pickling cucumbers: The one you have pictured is the size you want if you are going to eat it in a salad or to make sweet or sour pickles. It should be a bit bigger if you are going to make dill pickles unless you are going to make hamburger dills. Have you ever seen the big dill pickles in a bar or beer joint in those gallon jars. They are at least twice the size of that one. Yours still has the little tiny spines and is still a dark green color. When it loses those little bumps with the spines and turns a lighter green, that is the time to make either dill spears or whole dill pickles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok, that's good to hear. I think this cucumber will indeed make a good pickle. I cut this cucumber open and it looks perfectly fine on the inside, so it should be good.

Ask a Question