Will my azalea be ok..?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok so here is the general story before I ask my question.. So before there used to be a pachysandra groundcover in my azalea bed but I thought they were weeds so I removed all of them. Then I found out they are valuable plants for groundcovers so I completely regretted it so I bought some new pachysandras and planted one under my azalea. But as I was digging the hole, of course I would encounter some roots of the azaleas. I think ripped some of them and caused a scratch on one of their thicker roots. I didn't dig a hole that big since the rootball of the pachysandra wasn't big to begin with. But Will they be ok? They won't die from this will they? Pls help I am freaking out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks chuck. Also do you know if pachysandras(the japanese one) steal water from other plants? And would it be bad for the azaleas if it's growing under it? I heArd that they don't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks chuck. Also do you know if pachysandras(the japanese one) steal water from other plants? And would it be bad for the azaleas if it's growing under it? I heArd that they don't.
Everything will be fine. Plants don't "steal" water from other plants. Some are just more efficient at using the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks for the information Heruga and Chuck. I have not been aware of Pachysandra and will look for it as according to google it's good in shade and the flower is pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Everything will be fine. Plants don't "steal" water from other plants. Some are just more efficient at using the water.
Ok well since I planted the pachysandra right next to the roots of the azalea(3 feet away from azalea though), will the pachysandra roots intertwine on the azalea roots and cause stress to it?

Ask a Question