Wild Flowers on yesterday's walk

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Had a 3 and a half hour walk on a local organic farm. They've rented 200 acres from the National Trust and are managing it in conjunction with them. The variety was fantastic, here's a few of them :)

Butterfly Orchid

Dyers Greenweed.

Agrimony.

Adder's Tongue Fern.

Tuberous Vechling.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love wild flowers! Some of them are really pretty and very unique:) The last picture is my favorite, I like these tiny, pink petals hidden in the grass. They look so lovely!:D

Reaction score
Those are lovely, much prettier than the weeds and little white wildflowers we have around here. Thank you for sharing your photos.

Reaction score
Sadly most of the wildflowers where I live are now beginning to die down due to the heat - well apart from a few clumps of wild gladioli that are determined to try and keep going - so its really lovely to see your pictures of wildflowers Zigs and ones that are still in their prime too and although I like them all - I have to say that the picture of Genista Tinctoria or Dyers Greenweed is my favorite - as I really love this plant and although it doesn't grow where I now live - I do remember great clumps of it growing on the hillsides where I used to live :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Really? It's the first time i've seen it, one of 2 colonies in the UK, there are 3 species of micro moth that live on it, one can only survive on it alone. It's present on this colony :)

Lives in the unopened flower bud and has to mature in 30 days.

Reaction score
Really? It's the first time i've seen it, one of 2 colonies in the UK, there are 3 species of micro moth that live on it, one can only survive on it alone. It's present on this colony :)

Lives in the unopened flower bud and has to mature in 30 days.

Yes - REALLY - and although you may not have seen them before in the UK - there are many varieties of Genista that grow wild where I live and although Tinctoria doesn't grow where I now live - it does slightly further north of me and looks stunning in early summer - when you see an abundance of these lovely little yellow shrubs covering rocky hillsides and mountainous crevices.

Didn't know it attracted micro moths though :D

Reaction score
Pretty! I love wildflowers! Our park has lots of purple ones that are really gorgeous, not sure what the name of them is though! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love wild flowers as well. A few year ago I picked up a box of mix wild flowers at the Dollar Store, and just dumped the entire box in my garden. I had the most beautiful garden that year. I have some coming back for two years now, the mini cornflower, black-eyed Susan, and the wall-flowers. Can't wait to see them again this year.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
IcyBc, I am going to go to the Dollar Store and pick up some seeds and dump them in a space in the back yard to see what happens. I may put them in a large pot instead in the yard. I like the wild flower look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IcyBc, I am going to go to the Dollar Store and pick up some seeds and dump them in a space in the back yard to see what happens. I may put them in a large pot instead in the yard. I like the wild flower look.

Good luck in finding them because Dollar Store functions on a whim, LOL. If you see bulbs, pick them up too. I have great result with them too, even though I thought that they won't grow since they are from the Dollar Store. But for a dollar per 3-4 bulbs, I couldn't resist!

In the photo is the Murielae, which commonly known as Sword Lily, that I grew from the Dollar Store bulbs. This flower has a heavenly scent to it.
Murielae.JPG

Reaction score
Beautiful pics :D I love the sight of wild flowers whenever I have the chance to see them over here :) Right now everything is very dead, but soon we will be seeing some really pretty ones =D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am thinking of putting in a small patch of wildflowers to attract the pollinators. I just have to figure out where I can accommodate them. I don't want them to self seed too much and migrate about the garden in areas reserved for other things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We get a lot of butter cups in my area out in the woods and i just love them. There is another type of flower that we have a lot of and I can't remember the name of it. They are tall and sprout white or purple flowers and there are several bell like flowers that form. The top of the plant looks like a corn corn cob in a way when it blooms. I will see if I can remember what the name of it is and I will post pictures. It is really pretty and lines the roadsides around here.

Ask a Question