Wild edibles that would sustain you in a survival situation

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I was ever lost in the woods or mountains, I am not sure I could survive. I certainly would not know how to trap or kill an animal, so my alternatives would have to fall to vegetation. Almost all meat In the United States is edible, but that certainly is not the case for plants and fungi. In North America, what would be the best vegetation to eat to sustain a person for at least a few days?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I was ever lost in the woods or mountains, I am not sure I could survive. I certainly would not know how to trap or kill an animal, so my alternatives would have to fall to vegetation. Almost all meat In the United States is edible, but that certainly is not the case for plants and fungi. In North America, what would be the best vegetation to eat to sustain a person for at least a few days?
Beans, preferably dried from a country store. Otherwise nuts, berries and tubers if you knew what they looked like. Just don't get lost and you won't have to worry. And if you traipse around in the mountains without a map, compass and rifle then let Darwinism do its thing

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I know that there are quite a few wild plants that are edible in North America. The most popular are cattails, dandelions, daylilies, plantain, and wild roses. Most of them need to be cooked or boiled in order to eat them, so I would stick to nuts and berries as well. I always believe that anything an animal will eat can almost ensure that it is not poisonous and fine to eat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beans, preferably dried from a country store. Otherwise nuts, berries and tubers if you knew what they looked like. Just don't get lost and you won't have to worry. And if you traipse around in the mountains without a map, compass and rifle then let Darwinism do its thing

I wouldn't wander anywhere that I was unfamiliar without being prepared, but that doesn't mean the car couldn't fly off the road and I got disoriented. It doesn't mean a plane couldn't crash and I had to survive. Furthermore, I meant what natural things could I eat? Deer eat lichen, can humans?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know that there are quite a few wild plants that are edible in North America. The most popular are cattails, dandelions, daylilies, plantain, and wild roses. Most of them need to be cooked or boiled in order to eat them, so I would stick to nuts and berries as well. I always believe that anything an animal will eat can almost ensure that it is not poisonous and fine to eat.

I knew that cattail was edible. I saw a survival show where he stripped it and ate it like a stalk of celery. I have also heard dandelion is suitable. People in non-survival situations make wine from the top portions, and coffee from the roots. Can you pluck the flower and eat the whole thing? Or are there portions that you can eat alone, like the stem?

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I knew that cattail was edible. I saw a survival show where he stripped it and ate it like a stalk of celery. I have also heard dandelion is suitable. People in non-survival situations make wine from the top portions, and coffee from the roots. Can you pluck the flower and eat the whole thing? Or are there portions that you can eat alone, like the stem?
The best time to eat dandelions is when they first start to sprout. When you first start seeing the green bud forming then you can pick the whole weed and eat it. Usually after the yellow flower has formed the plant will take on a bitter flavor and the leaves will be very chewy. I have used dandelion leaves mixed in with my salad greens before. They have a very nutty and earthy flavor to them.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would have to stick to the fruit and berries and dandelion leaves if I got lost. I know cattails but I did not know you can eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Something that would sustain you? Well, the best bet here in PA, depending on the season would be blueberries, huckleberries, blackberries, teaberries (which are available most of the year if you know where to look), wild cucumber root (low in starches but very edible), acorns (with some work), shagbark hickory nuts (not the pignut hickory which looks very similar), Juneberries, pawpaw fruits, rose hips, wild sorrel (very tasty!), watercress, wild leeks, wild strawberries, sassafras root and mushrooms (if you know what you are looking at). I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of right now, but there are lots of things out there that can keep you going. Learn what's available in your area and just try it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nettles are edible, but you have to be careful not to get stung. I have tried cat tail before and it does taste pretty good...like watery celery in a way. Fresh berries are plentiful in most parts of the US and there are a wide variety of mushrooms if you know what to look for. I am not a fan of mushrooms so I don't know an edible from a non edible, but you have to be careful so you don't get poisoned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
fiddle heads are a delicacy as are ramps for this old country boy. I have had dandelion greens, and I am sure that my dad embarrassed everyone in the family when we moved to a "city" home in the 60's as he would be in the yard every evening trying to get fresh greens for salad. cress (creasy greens in NC), plaintain and dandelion.

Ask a Question