Which herbs smell the best?

Reaction score
What would you recommend for someone that wants to have their herb garden giving off a great scent that will fill the kitchen?

Reaction score
I smelled a plant yesterday called Lemon Balm that smelled like delicious lemon candy. According to the directions on the pot, you can make tea or add flavor to your fruit salad with Lemon Balm.

I also love the smell of the various kinds of mint plants, like Chocolate Mint, Orange Mint and spearmint. Pineapple Sage smells good and basil is a classic amazing smell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love mint, this scent is so refreshing. It somehow reminds me of vampires - maybe it's because I was drinking lots and lots of mint tea while reading one of Ann Rice's novels:p . Anyway, I think it smells really nice.

Jed

Reaction score
What would you recommend for someone that wants to have their herb garden giving off a great scent that will fill the kitchen?
Basil would be by far my favourite. Mints are always a good choice. Peppermint especially.
Though I don't have indoor herbs growing I do dry bunch indoors. Currently I have at least 12 kilos of garlic hanging from beams in by kitchen and probably start harvesting others such as lemon verbena soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, I completely forgot about lemon verbena! Its smell is lovely too. It reminds me of Gone with the Wind because Scarlett's mother used it as perfume:D

Reaction score
I love the smell of mint. I think it's a very basic scent though. Interested in growing herbs with more "complex" scents that are hard to pin-point but still pleasant.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have fallen in love with rosemary, when it is cooking it makes the kitchen smell so good. Mint is also a good smell. A smell that I also like all though it is not an herb is honeysuckle. One of the things I love to smell during spring is the newly blossomed honeysuckle plants.

Reaction score
Mint does smell great. I am also particularly fond of basil. It has a fresh, fragrant smell that I just love. It's not too intruding...just yummy. I also agree the honeysuckle smells great, even though it isn't an herb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I just love the scent of Rosemary. To me, it has a fresh,almost a pine smell, and the little needles on it even remind me of pine needles. The one I had was about 2 feet tall, but they are supposed to be perennial, and will winter over like sage does, and eventually get several feet tall. I lost the one I had, and moved, so this year, I am going to get another one, and see if it will grow outside this summer, and then in the fall, I can decide whether to bring it in for the winter, or see if it will winter over outside.

Reaction score
I just started my first herb garden. I chose Sage, Rosemary and Lavender for their aroma. So far, Sage has grown at a much faster rate than the others and has a lovely calming scent.

Reaction score
I really like mint and also sage. Mint is very fresh and sage is invigorating yet more subtle. I agree it's a calming scent

Reaction score
I smelled a plant yesterday called Lemon Balm that smelled like delicious lemon candy. According to the directions on the pot, you can make tea or add flavor to your fruit salad with Lemon Balm.

I also love the smell of the various kinds of mint plants, like Chocolate Mint, Orange Mint and spearmint. Pineapple Sage smells good and basil is a classic amazing smell.
I have a backyard full of lemon balm. Although, I know you are not supposed to plant mint or (lemon balm) directly in the ground I accidentally allowed the seeds to fall off my deck. Despite, having too much I still love it, it smells great. When it is accidentally cut by the lawn mower, the smell last in the air for about a week. By the way I love spearmint too.

Reaction score
I love mint, this scent is so refreshing. It somehow reminds me of vampires - maybe it's because I was drinking lots and lots of mint tea while reading one of Ann Rice's novels:p . Anyway, I think it smells really nice.
I love mint to. It has a double duty. it smells lovely, and you can easily dry and make it into tea!

Reaction score
Often I find it is the combination of herbs together in a herb garden that creates a strong smell. Try putting your Italian herbs together like Basil, Thyme and Rosemary. You could also include a Bay leaf tree, Lavender and some Lemongrass. Picking a bunch of fresh herbs as one does with flowers and combining them together in a vase creates an aromatic aroma.

Ask a Question