Which herbs complement each other?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I was wondering o the best system of growing herbs in the garden. Granted, herbs have few pests and diseases due to the fact that they have high levels of alkaloids which deter these. I suppose some herbs can be grown together for optimum performance in the field. This would involve polyculture. Which herbs do you think go well together or complement each other?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I plant herbs that have the same sun/shade/water requirements together. For example, rosemary and oregano both like soil on the dry side, but mint and watercress like damp. I wouldn't put a bay tree out in full Texas sun, so it gets planted with basil (basil loves sun, but here in Texas, enough is enough!).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I usually put mint and basil next to each other indoors because they require a lot of water. I also found that when I put cilantro and parsley next to each other they didn't do well. I don't know if it's because they don't compliment each other or if it was just chance they both were struggling.

Ask a Question