Which does the job better, a weed whacker or a lawn mower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
When it comes to clearing the lawn of weeds, which is better to use, in your opinion, a weed whacker or a lawn mower? I see weed whackers being used on a regular basis around the neighborhood, and we also use it for cutting weeds in our garden. Years ago, we used to use a lawn mower. However, I think the weed whacker works well when it comes to cutting tall grass, while the lawn mower is effective in cutting grass that is not that tall. The lawn mower is easier to handle too. I have never used a weed whacker myself, since it is quite heavy to manage, Another family member does that. However, I have used a lawn mower in the past.

Which one do you use most of the time or all of the time? Do you switch between the two?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use a weed wacker sometimes but mostly I pull the weeds by hand. I agree the lawn mower is so heavy to use and not good for tight spaces.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We use a weed whacker to trim around the fences and garden paths. Otherwise, we use either a riding mower or a self-propelled walk-behind (slight digression: there have been two wonderful inventions in the past century--air conditioning, and the self-propelled mower).
Mowers give a more even cut and if mowing is done consistently, you'll have fewer weeds since healthy grass is aggressive and can overcome some weeds.
We cut at the 2 1/2" height, although 3" is better. We have so much to mow that we cut our grass a bit shorter so we can keep up with the mowing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use the weed whacker in tighter spaces, so I don't use it that often. When our gas mower went out on us, we used the weed whacker, to cut the grass--that's probably the most we've ever used it, until we got a reel mower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes same here. A riding lawn mower attacks most of my lawn, but I use a weed whacker to get in close to the house. It is just one of the things that makes life easier. I like the way you can get very close to the house and get all the debris cleaned up. It is a very handy tool to have around the house, and one that makes trimming easy.

Ask a Question