Where to plant a gooseberry bush?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United Kingdom
A friend gave me a gooseberry bush that's currently in a pot. It looks like a pretty healthy looking plant and I'd like to have it planted in the ground, but I'm not sure what sort of conditions would be the best for it. How much sunlight do they need? Would it be alright near to a fence or should I keep it away? Thanks for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Gooseberry grows like wildfire. I have two a get a lot of berries each year. Full Sun ad mulch and it thrives.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ANQXT
28 July 2014 European Gooseberry Juicing.
Twenty pounds of European gooseberries were harvested from one bush and made into 12 liters of juice, and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage.The only residue from the process was a few seeds, which were discarded. Annotated pictures depict the process. The berries were picked by raising the thorny fruiting stalk with a gloved hand and plucking the berries with the free hand.The thick output of the Champion Juicer will be used as a separate dessert.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GJWDW 22 July 2014 American Gooseberry (Ribes hirtellum) Juicing.
Ten pounds of berries were harvested from one bush of American Gooseberry (Ribes hirtellum) and made into seven liters of pressure canned juice. The berries were harvested by cutting the fruit laden branch and swiping it across a one inch mesh screen to remove the berries. The branches are pruned out and the process is quick and efficient.Pictures depict the complete process.

dsc_2360%2022%20july%202014%20american%20gooseberry_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a goose berry plant near a fence and it is amazing. I need to trim it every now and then or else it will take over the whole garden. It needs full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United Kingdom
@Durgan Thanks for that information! Those are some great links too! I'll definitely bookmark those for later when I've got more berries! It already has a handful of berries on it so I can see it going a long way. My grandparents used to have a gooseberry bush in their garden and I remember loving them as a child although it's been a while since I've had them. Theirs was planted near the middle of a patch of lawn and their garden faced south so it had sunlight all day long! It sounds like it was a well positioned place for it!

@pollinator101 Thanks for the sunlight tip, and about needing to trim it so it doesn't take over! How often would you say you trim it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depends on how fast it grows but on average you should trim it around 3 times a year two trimmings in the summer and one big one in the fall.

Ask a Question