what's wrong with my Garlic ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I decided to grow garlic indoors and out .... to cut my loses :)
I planted the garlic into 3 containers, 2 pots and an "earth box".

I used 5 parts soil 1 part coarse sand, mixed in plant food. Water only when the soil measured dry with a moisture probe.

All the pots have great drainage.

The 2 pots were placed at windows on the northern side of the house that get sun, but not direct sun.

The earth box is under 2 T5 grow lamps in the basement. The T5's are on a timer to give 12 hours of sunlight time.

The garlic (elephant and softneck) sprouted well, but they have
been turning yellow and wilting.

The weather here in Virginia has warmed up so I moved all 3 outside. But colder weather will be coming .... and I don't know what is happening :-(

1448470584_tmp_IMG_20151125_104646_860.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think Chuck maybe right, garlic needs lots of sun to grow, I found that garlic does better out side, The cold doesn't hurt them, mine stay in the garden all winter and come spring I dig up what I need, garlic will reseed it self and you can have garlic all over your yard and thats not a bad thing if you like garlic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Looks to me like not enough sunlight

I agree, it looks like lack of sunlight. However, isn't it a bit crowded with that small pot? I'm sorry but I am not well versed with garlic because we had that just once and we harvested it while the garlic were young that is good for ingredient in the Chinese noodles. Also check the soil if it has gone too dry. Cold weather makes the soil dry at times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome @thinders , lack of sunlight was my first thought as well. Garlic likes full sun and yours looks a bit leggy. Are all of them not doing well, even the ones under lights?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Leave it outside, garlic NEEDS cold.

It's very lanky, and far too close together.
Thin out every second plant, pulling the leggier ones if possible.
Replant or discard.

Ask a Question