Whats wrong with my blueberry bush?

Reaction score
Country
United States
i recently discovered leaf rollers eating my plant and also noticed signs of overwatering. I let the soil dry out for a couple days and removed all of the lead rollers I could find. Plant started to look much better so it seemed to I noticed earlier today all the new shoots droopy and sickly looking. I'm really new to all this and I have yet to check the soil ph. I'm not exactly sure of the age of the plant , but I can tell it is fairly young. It is still in the pot I got from Walmart and have only topped it with some miracle grow organic potting mix and plan to be some azalea plant fertilizer to acidify the soil if that may be part of the problem. Also not sure if to repot or not . She seems too big for the current pot in my opinion. Anything helps , please help me save my first blueberry plant

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 430
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 627
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 530
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 494
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 524
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 511
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 653
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you would would update your profile so we could know where you are it would be a big help. Is your soil acidic or alkaline? Blueberries do not grow in alkaline soils. But even so, it looks as if you have over watered

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will do, I'm located in east central Florida. I have yet to test the ph of the soil but would like to assume it is more acidic than alkaline at this point due to the nice growth I was seeing until very recently. I've had it since May. The potting mix I used is mostly derived of peat moss which I read was good for the plant. I will get a tester and check the ph ASAP. Id also like to add that it is a sunshine blue and I read it can tolerate slightly less acidic soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can't tell from the pictures whether you have one bush or more than one, however, I know that in order to grow blueberries you need at least two of them for cross pollination. I tired growing one here one time, and it was a total bust. I was discussing it with someone one time, and I was told that they need to be planted in pairs for just that reason.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have only one bush and I do agree, however I read that the sunshine blue variety is self pollinating and does not necessarily need a another bush to grow well. Up until this started, it seemed to be growing just fine. I even had a number of berries back in May when I got it lasting until August. To update , I let the soil dry some but it hasn't seemed to have changed for the better at all. I watered lightly yesterday. Will post pics soon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm not sure as far as why the leaves look that way, but, unless our plants happen to have the same problem, many of my branches have grown at odd angles as well. Also, the slightest change of location (more so temperature and light levels),, and my blueberry tree drops literally 98% of it's leaves.

While it seems to be able to recover quite well, it also seems very damage prone to the slightest changes of weather.

As you can see in the photos I have attached, the branches are growing in very odd directions much like how yours is. And as I mentioned before, moved it's location and it went from very vigorous to just several leaves in a matter of days.... It was a sad moment. The branches were so lush. :'( But I know it will grow back fine after winter because my other blueberry tree was the EXACT same scenario. I changed it's location, it dropped all but maybe 2 leaves, but is getting pretty lush again!

I literally cut about 30% of branches minutes before I saw this post :( . I wish I would have caught this earlier. A good % of those branches cut seemed to be very crooked. Before the problem though, they were crooked but very dark green and healthy looking as far as I could tell.

I could just have a similar problem to you, but, I feel like it might also be normal to grow at odd angles?

Are any other leaves dying?

Attachments

• 20161002_062744.jpg
    20161002_062744.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 20161002_062612.jpg
    20161002_062612.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 328
  • 20161002_062626.jpg
    20161002_062626.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 20161002_062637.jpg