What's the name of this plant?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recieved this tiny plant as a gift a while ago, but I don't really what is called. I just know the street name of this plant (in spanish) so that really doesn't help! Here is a picture I took of the plant:

302033_171665546241833_934700_n.jpg

I'd also like to know how I can propagate this one?

Reaction score
Your plant looks very much like a Mesembryanthemum or Lamparanthus to me.

I have quite a lot of these, some yellow ones like the one in your picture and some called ' Spectablis ' which have fluorescent cerise petals and a yellow center.

Mesembryanthemums are a succulent low-growing, spreading plant, that is often used as a lawn replacement in some areas of the Mediterranean and is great for planting on slopes, in between rocks, flower beds, in fact you can plant this, just about anywhere and it will grow, so long as it has very well drained soil and plenty of sun, as the flowers only open in sunlight and close up on cloudy days and at night. Doesn't need much in the way of care and definitely no fertilizer, and can withstand long periods of neglect.
It is easily propagated by stem or leaf cuttings - just break a piece off, pop in some soil and hey presto a few weeks later, you'll have a plant.

Hope this is of help to you.

Reaction score
Your plant looks very much like a Mesembryanthemum or Lamparanthus to me.

I have quite a lot of these, some yellow ones like the one in your picture and some called ' Spectablis ' which have fluorescent cerise petals and a yellow center.

Mesembryanthemums are a succulent low-growing, spreading plant, that is often used as a lawn replacement in some areas of the Mediterranean and is great for planting on slopes, in between rocks, flower beds, in fact you can plant this, just about anywhere and it will grow, so long as it has very well drained soil and plenty of sun, as the flowers only open in sunlight and close up on cloudy days and at night. Doesn't need much in the way of care and definitely no fertilizer, and can withstand long periods of neglect.
It is easily propagated by stem or leaf cuttings - just break a piece off, pop in some soil and hey presto a few weeks later, you'll have a plant.

Hope this is of help to you.

Wow, Gata montes! You seem to knoa a lot things about this plant! Thanks a lot! I just knew this plant was a suculent one, but that's it. I actually thought succulent plants were hard to propagate. Thanks for the info, I had no idea this one could be propagated by just placing a small piece of it on the ground! Thanks a lot again, gata montes :)

Reaction score
A pleasure Trellum.
With regard to succulents being hard to propagate, more often than not this method works for most of them and is worth being in mind, just in case you should see, another succulent plant that you like the look of. More often than not, if you ask the owner of the plant, if you could pinch a leaf or stem off, they are more than happy to oblige, so long as you don't harm or disfigure the plant.:)

Reaction score
A pleasure Trellum.
With regard to succulents being hard to propagate, more often than not this method works for most of them and is worth being in mind, just in case you should see, another succulent plant that you like the look of. More often than not, if you ask the owner of the plant, if you could pinch a leaf or stem off, they are more than happy to oblige, so long as you don't harm or disfigure the plant.:)

Hehehe!! I have a neighbor that has a lot beautiful plants, specially geraniums! You can tell she's not a big fan of gardening enthusiasts asking her for a cutting! Even if her geraniums are almost as big as a bush :D I got a really interesting cutting from her, but I'm not sure of the name of that plant either. I mean, we do have a name for it over here, but not sure about the ''REAL'' name.

Reaction score
You're neighbor must be very good with plants, particularly as she has such big healthy ones.:D A good source then.;)

Is it just the name you need for your interesting cutting or do you need plant care as well ? Either way, if you want to post a picture, will have a go at identifying it for you, but make no promises that I will get it right.

Reaction score
You're neighbor must be very good with plants, particularly as she has such big healthy ones.:D A good source then.;)

Is it just the name you need for your interesting cutting or do you need plant care as well ? Either way, if you want to post a picture, will have a go at identifying it for you, but make no promises that I will get it right.

I already did, Gata Montes :) I posted the picture of that plant under the title of ''Alcatraz?''. We call the flowers this plant produces this way, but everytime I try to google this name a lot jail pictures pop up, lol.

Reaction score
Yes I saw the thread and wondered if it was the plant that you mentioned here.
I noticed that your plant had already been named, but that you had also asked for plant information, so added a post to that effect.
Can just imagine what kind of information came up, when you were researching your plant, which I'm sure would have been
invaluable to you, had you been researching that particular prison. :)

Reaction score
LOL!!! Yes, now I know more about that prison and what it looks like ;) It's weird tho, that name seems to be the standard one in countries like Mexico. But for some reason they never pass the Google's test. It has happened with a lot plants, the only way I get results is using the plant's scientific name. Which isn't always pretty, but is very reliable :)

Ask a Question