What's the best use for pumpkin seeds?

Reaction score
I really hate wasting stuff. I have three pumpkin each will produce about 500 seeds. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with them. I'd feel bad just throwing them away.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Pumpkin seeds are very useful and I recommend you to store them for future use. According to the WHO(World Health Organization) pumpkin are the rich source of mineral zinc, Vitamin K. Doctors recommend them to obtain zinc nutrient.

I can list a number of benefits of having pumpkin seeds as medicine.

1.They help in lowering level of cholesterol

2.Pumpkin seeds help promoting sleep and helps in lowering depression level.

3.Prevent from kidney stones

So i recommend you to keep these seeds with you or you can offer to someone else,who needs them

Reaction score
Pumpkin seeds can be roasted and eaten. They may have pretty tough hulls depending on what kind of pumpkin it was though, so it may be a lot of work. Save some to grow next year and eat the rest. If the pumpkin was a smaller variety the seeds will probably taste really good and not be so much work to get out of the hulls. They are very nutritious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unlike me, my family loves pumpkin seeds. They fry them on a pan, bake them or simply eat them raw. My sister always adds some seeds to her bread.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like pumpkin seeds to munch on or toss into salads... roasted or sauteed, yummy. If you don't like to eat them yourself the birds and small wildlife usually enjoy the seeds, so share the wealth with them! =)

Reaction score
I really hate wasting stuff. I have three pumpkin each will produce about 500 seeds. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with them. I'd feel bad just throwing them away.

You can dry those seeds very well, then try to get some oil from them with an oil extractor. My in laws have one of those, they can extract the oil out of anything! Even flax seeds! Their extractor looks like this:

20121210154320636.jpg

Reaction score
Unlike me, my family loves pumpkin seeds. They fry them on a pan, bake them or simply eat them raw. My sister always adds some seeds to her bread.

Yikes! I can't stand the taste of those when raw! So I totally understand how you feel, not a big fan of those when dry or toasted either, but they're are oh so healthy... if I had an oil extractor I'd make some homemade oil with those leftover seeds from my grandpa.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Dancing lady, I just got two pie pumpkins from the grocery. What do I need to do to save the seeds to plant next spring? Will the seeds be viable from a very firm pumpkin, or does the pumpkin need to be very ripe? I've never grown pumpkins, so advice on saving the seeds and growing them would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yikes! I can't stand the taste of those when raw! So I totally understand how you feel, not a big fan of those when dry or toasted either, but they're are oh so healthy... if I had an oil extractor I'd make some homemade oil with those leftover seeds from my grandpa.
I'd love to have an oil extractor like this! Oils can be used in so many ways! For example, I often apply flaxseed oil on my hair. It works better than the best store-bought conditioner.
As for pumpkin seeds, I really, really hate them. I think I'm allergic to them.

Reaction score
I love roasted seeds, I just rinse them of the gunk, mix with some olive oil, a light sprinkling of salt and then roasting in the oven. You can do seeds of most fruits this way- even watermelon seeds! The watermelon seeds are tougher but have an interesting flavor, and seeds of all kinds are so nutritious.

The oil extractor is on my must have list!!! Thanks for sharing, I'm off to find where I can get one. What a useful contraption.

Reaction score
I'd love to have an oil extractor like this! Oils can be used in so many ways! For example, I often apply flaxseed oil on my hair. It works better than the best store-bought conditioner.
As for pumpkin seeds, I really, really hate them. I think I'm allergic to them.

Those extractors are not so expensive and they work like a charm! My in laws have extracted whole bottles of oil from almonds, hazelnuts and other things. They're a must, specially for someone like you who is into natural cosmetics ;) As for pumpkin seeds.... what makes you think you are allergic to them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
One recipe is to add the pumpkin seeds to granola along with almonds, apricots, cranberries, and pineapples. I love to also add oatmeal and combine them all with a little brown sugar, butter and cinnamon, stir then bake it all in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees F. Yum!

Ask a Question