Country
United States
6B99E5BB-AEE8-4CFB-B16F-312F7BFED0A3_zps9nzrilse.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you. It does look like that! I got it for free so I'm going to root it in water, and make it into a plant. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
CC, instead of rooting in water, try rooting it in either a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and perlite, or in sterile potting soil, kept damp. Roots that develop in water are different from roots that develop in soil or a potting mix. Generally speaking, plants with roots that develop in soil or mix do better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I tried rooting it soil, but the sun here is too strong. They can't make it alive without roots before hand. I have rooted herbs in water beforehand. They did fine. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried rooting it soil, but the sun here is too strong. They can't make it alive without roots before hand. I have rooted herbs in water beforehand. They did fine. :)
Keep it in the shade until it roots and gradually move it into the sun

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When I root herbs (sage, basil, oregano, marjoram, etc.) I put the cuttings in a 4" pot filled with either the mix or soil I mentioned previously, make sure it stays damp but not soggy, and set it on a shaded shelf in the barn, or on my kitchen windowsill which faces north (no direct sunlight).
After I think the cuttings have rooted, I give them a very gentle tug, and if I feel resistance which means roots are starting, I move them to a spot where they get morning sun for 2-3 hours. After a few days, they get moved to where there is more sun, and finally, if appropriate for the type of herb, into full sun. This is called "hardening off" and is done with almost any sprouted seed or cutting.

Ask a Question