What time of day do you prefer to spend in your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I know that over here where I live, most people like doing their gardening either very early in the morning or in the late evening just before the sun sets. Both of these times are the coolest times of the day. If I want to pull up weeds from a plant pot, I prefer to do it early in the morning, somewhere between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. I do not enjoy doing this type of work in the hot sun. However, if I do happen to go into the garden when it is sunny, I would wear a broad-rimmed hat, but the time spent out there would be short, as it would still be a bit too hot for me.

What is your favourite time for gardening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm okay with working before early morning and late evening; I get to hear the buzzing bees and not the buzzing mosquitoes. Of course, those zika-spreading mosquitoes might change that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I love to gardrn under the sun. I love heat. So late morning through to evening is ideal fof me becausd my gardens face northwest.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It depends on the time of year. In Summer, I'd say morning hours, 7am-11am is when I most enjoy it. In Spring, I prefer it mid-day to early afternoon, when it's the sunniest and warmest. In Autumn I like the early evenings, because I have a fire pit by my garden, so I can sit out and enjoy the fire as the temperatures get cooler. In Winter, the answer is never! :D

Honestly, any time of day is great, during the growing season. I love watching to see if a new Monarch Butterfly is in the area. I love seeing the bees hard at work. Of course, I also love monitoring the new seedlings every year, and thinking about their possibilities. It's a fun environment to be in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I can only really garden during the weekends, since any other day I leave my job almost at night. I prefer gardening at the end of the afternoon or in the morning, depending on the season :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
For me personally I would say that first thing in the morning is my preference. It always helps me feel productive and I guess it sets the tone of the day from there! Plus, if I'm doing something in the garden that's particularly time consuming I like starting on it early!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There is something about evening gardening that strikes me just right. I love the ambient feel of the evening and the quiet that is all around me. The morning is too early, and I am usually too busy during the middle of the day. Evenings are the perfect time to relax in the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I prefer to check the garden in the later afternoon when the sun is not hot anymore. But my husband is in the garden early in the morning. He said that gardening in the morning revitalizes him. And an advantage is to catch the pests like slugs and caterpillars that eat the young leaves. It's nice to wake up and see in the dining table some harvest like star fruit, lemon, and other fruits in season that my husband had already picked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't have a favorite time, I could garden all day long:) It's one of those things that will never bore me. Gardening is exciting:) I love taking care of plants, watering them, and watching them grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Early afternoon is best for me usually. It's still warm yet the area is cast mostly in shadow due to the position of my house, allowing it to be a little more reasonable to sit out there. I also like going out right as the sun is setting. I have enough light to do what I need to do but it's also nice and cool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
In spring and summer I like to work in the garden in the morning--7 to about 10 a.m. because it is less stressful for the plants. If I don't want anyone messing with me at noontime 90 degree temperature, I doubt if the plants do either! It's also a prime time to cut herbs and pick vegetables as soon as the dew is off the plants.
This time of year it is preparing beds and planting, and I do it when I can, and the time of day doesn't really matter.
Next month I'll be doing my inside-outside dance with the seedlings. If the weather permits and it is warm enough, they will be outside hardening off; and if not, they will be inside the barn shielded by plastic. I bring them in at night, put them out in the morning, check on them at noon, and hope all day long! :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I prefer working in the garden in the early morning hours. The early morning hours are just so peaceful to me, and I also feel more productive in the morning hours too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like to work in the garden in the late morning when the sun has time to warm up, and when the mosquitoes weren't out yet. Our temperature is sort of chilly in the early morning and late evening in the summer. But I love it when it heats up!

Ask a Question