What legumes do you intercrop with?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Legumes are important crops when it comes to the issue of soil enrichment. They have nodules which fix nitrogen in the soil. They convert nitrogen into nitrates which is the byproduct of their metabolism. Desmodium is a common plant in our region and its planted amongst napier grass. Its a perennial and this assures constant replenishment of the soil. Most farmers however prefer intercropping maize with beans. Which legumes crops do you intercrop with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Clover, it's cheap and easy to work with. Plus I can cut it and sell it as natural bunny feed. I got the idea from Masanobu Fukuoka's book One-Straw Revolution.But in my flower garden I plant lupins, they're also nitrogen correctors and home to many of the butterfly species through their caterpillar stage. My grandpa used to use alfalfa on his corn fields and then used the alfalfa in his hay bales as extra feed for his cows and horses.

Ask a Question